How do I attach cement board to a brick wall

Old 04-23-10, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I attach cement board to a brick wall

I posted this in the bath forum but it was suggested that I post it here as well...

I'm about to redo a bath and have a question about attaching the cement board to the walls. The tub sits against the outside wall. This wall is solid brick covered with plaster. Currently the ceramic tile is glued directly to the plaster. I plan on ripping this tile off and redoing it. Once I rip the tile off I'm sure that at least some of the old plaster will come with it. I can fix this but how do I go about attaching the new cement backer board to the plaster I can't screw it on because it's only plaster. Would it be alright to attach it with liquid nails? I'm sure that the wall will be messed so I don't think I can just reattach the new tile to the old plaster.
One other question I have to rip up the old floor to level it. Should I replace it with OBS or plywood? I'll be using either granite or ceramic tile for the floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I haven't had to deal with this a whole lot, but normally you would install 2x3 or similar lumber against the brick using tapcons or similar, and make it like a normal studded wall. You would then screw your backerboard to the studs.

Do not secure the cement board directly to the brick/plaster or try to glue it.

For the floor:

I would get a exterior rated, exposure 1 (NOT pressure treated), B/C plywood. If you are gonna have granite, you have to have at least two layers of ply with a total thickness of at least 1 1/8". Porcelain or ceramic are your best choices. With the porcelain or ceramic, you have to have at least one layer of 5/8" ply.

Old 04-24-10, 05:24 AM
The problem with studding the wall out is that the drain won't line up. It was suggested that the cement board could be attached to the wall with thin set. What would be wrong with attaching it directly to the wall?

Old 04-24-10, 07:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cement board is not meant to be attached to brick or plaster directly.

Old 05-23-10, 06:25 PM
Why do you need cement board at all? Can't you lay the tile directly on the brick? I'll be tiling a cinder block wall and the tile store said it would be fine.