Small bath floor [newbie]

Old 05-01-10, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small bath floor [newbie]

I would like to tile a small bath 5'x 6 1/2',no shower just an old clow feet tub, sink and toilet.House is old, joist real
2x8s 16 CC.
I removed the tub ,toilet ,sink and stick on tiles .There is a 1/4 plywood level and in good condition screwed to the subfloor but sandwitched in between there is an old linoleum floor
Already there is a visible difference in the floor height in relation to the rest of the floors , I dont want to add more substrates nor remove the old linoleum as it contains asbestos

1] Can I tile on the existing?

2] If 1/4 '' not enough , is 1/2' OK'?

3] Is there a tinset specially formulated for bathrooms?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 10:27 AM
Perhaps you should consider something other than ceramic tile for your flooring because that 1/4" luan and the lino under it really need to go. They are items that have habitually caused tile failures over the years as documented by the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation and the Tile Council of North America. 1/4" wood products are not structurally stable enough to support a point load (like the claw foot of a tub filled with water and humans) and luan is even softer wood than pine or fir which underlayment plywood is made from. As far as the asbestos goes your biggest issue will be in disposing of it. You can safely get it off the floor as long as you dont cut or scrape it in such a manner that it causes the fibers to become airborn. By wetting it first then using a roofing shingle scraper or similar tool you can be successful in accomplishing the removal. Also wear a mask and if possible put a box fan in the window as added insurance.If there is more 1/4" wood under the asbestos get that out too but more than likely there isnt. Get back to us with what is left under the asbestos (thickness of plywood, how many layers, etc) You need a minimum of 3/4" ply over the joists but more is better. The 3/4" is, as I said, a minimum, like passing a test by getting a 70.There are no shortcuts with ceramic or stone tile as they dont bend or flex like carpet, lino or hardwood flooring, they just crack and come loose if not properly supported.

Old 05-02-10, 11:51 AM
Thank you for reply Tileguybob

Perhaps you should consider something other than ceramic tile for your flooring

Not sure what may be suitable for a bath floor other than ceramic

You need a minimum of 3/4" ply over the joists but more is better.

I have not removed the lino but I know that over the joists the subfloor is 3/4 tonge and groove board in the bath and throughout the house
Thanks again

Old 05-02-10, 07:00 PM
The 3/4" planks are considered dimensional lumber, they will move independently of each other, sort of like the planks on a outdoor deck. That movement has to be isolated from the tile. Putting 1/2" sheet of BC or AC ply over it would do the trick but only after all the lino and 1/4" stuff is in the dumpster. Top off the ply with something like Noble Company's CIS or Schluter's Ditra and you're in business.

There are some points we can get into regarding putting the ply down if you decide to go that route.

Old 05-02-10, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your guidance I wiil post back
Regards