Shower tile ?

Old 05-02-10, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower tile ?

I'm prepping to install my shower floor, what is the best spacer size for 4x4 tiles. Is there any special requirements?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-10, 06:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi.

There are no "requirements." What ever is more pleasing to your eye is what you should use. If it were me...I'de prolly use 3/16 or 1/8.

Old 05-03-10, 08:53 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Using 4x4 on a sloped shower floor may prove a little challenging. The bigger the tile, the harder it is to get the tile to conform to the sloped mudbed, and you can wind up with some lippage issues. If you are gonna go ahead with that size tile, the smaller the grout joint, the more noticeable the lippage will be. Smaller mosaics 1x1 or 2x2 would be easier to work with.

Old 05-03-10, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Using 4x4 on a sloped shower floor may prove a little challenging. The bigger the tile, the harder it is to get the tile to conform to the sloped mudbed, and you can wind up with some lippage issues. If you are gonna go ahead with that size tile, the smaller the grout joint, the more noticeable the lippage will be. Smaller mosaics 1x1 or 2x2 would be easier to work with.
This is what she wants I'm just the means to an end.. I have placed the tiles on the floor and it seems at this point that I did a fairly good job on the pan because the lippage seems to be very minimal. she wanted a 1/16" spacer but I think that might be too small.

Old 05-03-10, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
This is what she wants I'm just the means to an end..
Hey I know what you mean. I gotta a boss too.

Old 05-03-10, 05:25 PM
I'm glad to hear that you guys really do listen to us, or just don't want to hear it!

1/16 is for non-sanded grout, which I have never liked in showers because, sooner or later it will fall out. I'd use 1/8 HotinOKC also suggested. I feel it looks better and I've specified that size many times for floors in general. If she wants smaller so she or you have less to clean, I would suggest you use epoxy grout instead. No sealing required!! BTW, I saw this in a client's home, "If Momma ain't happy, no ones happy". Best of luck.

Old 05-03-10, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys and gals, Looks like 1/8th is the winner.

Old 05-04-10, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by chilly.az.girl View Post
I'm glad to hear that you guys really do listen to us, or just don't want to hear it!

1/16 is for non-sanded grout, which I have never liked in showers because, sooner or later it will fall out. I'd use 1/8 HotinOKC also suggested. I feel it looks better and I've specified that size many times for floors in general. If she wants smaller so she or you have less to clean, I would suggest you use epoxy grout instead. No sealing required!! BTW, I saw this in a client's home, "If Momma ain't happy, no ones happy". Best of luck.
LOL Theres a country song out with that in the lyrics.

Are you saying the grout is falling out of the floor tile in the shower? I have seen wall grout come out because its not packed into the joint, more like a veneer coat, but the floor showing broken grout is usually a sign of subfloor movement.

Love to talk more but the wife is calling

Old 05-04-10, 07:07 PM
tileguybob, I am referring to non sanded grout applied properly on a wall application. I have seen this occur too many times. It does take a few years, but eventually the grout comes out. I forgot to mention, that the tiles were all butt joint 4". I'm glad I remembered that!!!! So if one uses 3/16 joints with non sanded grout and the tiles are not butted, then the possibility of success is increased 10x.

Old 05-04-10, 08:16 PM
Chil-n

Can you tell us about these 4x4 tiles for the shower floor? Are they regular ceramic, porcelain or stone? If you're not sure, do you have a brand or some info. Were they mounted on sheets or loose?

Jaz

Old 05-05-10, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Chil-n

Can you tell us about these 4x4 tiles for the shower floor? Are they regular ceramic, porcelain or stone? If you're not sure, do you have a brand or some info. Were they mounted on sheets or loose?

Jaz
Del Conca 4" x 4" Agora Noce Unglazed Porcelain Tile, can be found @ Lowes. they are individual tiles, not mounted on anything.

Old 05-05-10, 10:12 PM
OK, just wanted to make sure they were porcelain and not soft ceramic wall tiles like some people use.

1/8" or a bit wider, sanded grout.

Jaz