remodeling span and tile install questions

Old 05-06-10, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remodeling span and tile install questions

I am an owner doing a two story house master bath remodel job in progress upstairs. I hit a snag.
I have a 13' span with 2 x 8 southern pine joist on 16" centers. They have 1 x 4 stripping on under side at 16" centers with 1/2 sheetrock under that for the downstairs ceiling. No bridgeing is installed. The sub floor is 5/8 osb. What needs to be done to support procalin or cerramic tile. Secondly what support can I add to accomodate a 850 lb shower unit that hold 63 gallons of water. Location of unit will be 12" from load bearing wall at one end of the 13' span. If I double (sister) the joist is will it be enough for the unit and enough support for the (18") tile.
I know I need to put backer board (1/4 or 1/2 not sure) but if I sister the joist , change osb to 5/8 subflooring add 1/4 backer board is that correct for a good job.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-10, 09:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
850lb shower unit? Thats with the water in it, right?

You will need to double up those joists with more 2x8's. I would then install 3/4" exterior grade/exposure 1 plywood. You can use 1/4" or 1/2" cbu for floors if you have some height issues, but the cbu is not there for strength. You could also look into Schluter Ditra. A bit more upfront costs, but will save you on installation time and back pain.

Old 05-07-10, 09:39 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
2x8 syp joists at 13' is cutting it kinda close. If you can sister them, do so. As to the subfloor, I'd suggest 3/4" t&g plywood and ditra. More plywood and ditra will make a more structurally sound floor than less plywood and cement board. The strength and stiffness is in the plywood, so more or thicker plywood is better. The ditra will keep the height down, and provide better uncoulpling of the subfloor/joist movement.

Old 05-07-10, 01:49 PM
The 850 # is the shower tub unit only lots of heavy glass addtional weight of water would be added to that.

Not familiar with ditra but will check it out.

here is a link to the shower unit

http://www.brilliantshowers.com/ unit Ariel Platinum DA333F8 Steam Shower