Ceramic Tile installation...

Old 05-12-10, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile installation...

OK, so I know this is not going to be easy but kind of excited to start the project. However have a few noob questions...

Do I rip out the dishwashwer and oven?
I ask this because wont it ruin the level from the counter top. I know that you can lower the legs on a oven but the dishwasher is under the counter top and with the backerboard and tile it will not fit.

Floor is currently linoleum so I will be ripping that up. Subfloor seems to be in great shape and I dont hear any creaking at all. Is the backerboard neccessary?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 10:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The dishwasher should have adjustable legs as well.......

Definetly need something to adhere those tiles too, whether it's a backerboard or membrane like Ditra. Dont want to be tiling directly to wood. Speaking of wood, what type of subfloor was there under that lino?

Old 05-12-10, 10:53 AM
It is a wood sub floor... Not OSB but plywood..So thin set right ontop of the wood is a no go?

Old 05-12-10, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tell us what you have for a joist system, size, unsupported span and on center spacing? How many layers of plywood, and the thickness of each?

You cannot set tile directly to a one layer plywood subfloor.

Old 05-12-10, 02:16 PM
Yeah, its on layer...damn... Ok, I guess I need to bite the bullet and go with backerboard..

So its:

Thin set>backer board>thin set>tile>grout

Thanks!

Old 05-12-10, 06:34 PM
You're not biting any bullet, you didn't think you could install tiles right on the subfloor did you? You won't be doing anything extraordinary by just installing a cement backer or Ditra, just the very basics.

Those are the basic steps, but you need to answer Johnny's questions.

Jaz

Old 05-14-10, 11:22 AM
Honestly I dont know how to answer some of those questions. The house is on a crawl space and its a wood sub-floor 1 layer thick. I dont know how thick the wood is as I have not seen a profile view of it. I will guess 1/2" maybe.. but that is just a guess... However, the floor doesn't make one squeak at all anywhere including the rest of the house. I checked underneath the house the other night and it all looks really good... In fact looks brand new (house was built in 96).

There is small area that was tiled by the builder infront of the backdoor coming from the deck. I hammered away with my air hammer and found that the tile is actually on backerboard of some sort which is on a piece of wood that is lower the then the rest. I guess the builder did this to keep it level as much as possible even though the tile was higher then the rest of the floor. I also dont understand why its only in this 3x3 section infront of the door, landing pad maybe.

Thanks,

Old 05-14-10, 08:51 PM
You said you have vinyl and of course that's going to the curb. Normally there would be a 1/4" underlayment under the vinyl. If so, that gets ripped out too.

If the subfloor is in good shape and is adequate, you can then install a cement backer into fresh thin set, etc. then the tiles. Or install a membrane such as Ditra instead of the cement backer.

As far as what Johnny asked, in addition to the plywood question, tell us; the type and size of the joists. Their on center spacing. the span between supports, (to the inch). Would also be nice to know the species and grade.

Jaz