Asbestos Tiles. What should I do?

Old 05-26-10, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos Tiles. What should I do?

I am remodeling my kitchen. There were some ugly ceramic tiles on the floor when I got it, so I pulled them up. After that there was a massive thinset mess on pieces of 1/4 in. luan plywood that were pieced together (I am guessing this is why the old tile was cracked all over). I decided to remove this plywood and replace it with mason board. When I did, I revealed some old plasticy tiles.

I didn't think anything of it. We've been walking on them, and sweeping them up for a few days now. It wasn't till I read through my condo booklet that I discovered a little passage that said all kitchen floors had vinyl asbestos tiles.

Needless to say, I am now a little wary, as I have heard all the horror stories, been living in the house with fans and AC blasting for a few days now, and actively swept up the kitchen. This caused a lot of dust, but I think most of it was thinset.

I freaked out again once I did some research and found that, once they start to crumble, you are most at risk, and have to have someone come in and take them out. However, once I looked this morning, the chipping parts seem to be plaster or primer someone put down to seal the tiles, and they actually do all look in tact (see pictures below).

My question is, am I ok to just cover these with mason board and plaster, should I remove them myself in the appropriate manner (I've read the state tells you you can do this - New Jersey), or should I have a thorough decontamination done. I've never come across asbestos before, and would like a more experienced opinion. Please see the pictures below.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Cover them. But do not use masonite or plaster on the floor. Use an underlayment board, like ultraply etc. If you must patch use a cement based patch. Plaster or drywall patch will not last on a floor.

Old 05-26-10, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
Cover them. But do not use masonite or plaster on the floor. Use an underlayment board, like ultraply etc. If you must patch use a cement based patch. Plaster or drywall patch will not last on a floor.
Is there a specific (Home Depot/Lowes) product that you would recommend for the compound?

I was going to use a product like Duraplex (think that's what it's called) stocked at Home Depot. I don't remember what it was called, but you could cut it with a mat knife. Are these kind of products ok for this? How level do I have to get these types of products? The vinyl is like a 16th of an inch thick. It wasn't leveled really well the last time it was covered. I get the impression that most of the cracked tiles occurred along seems in the luan that buckled.

Do you think it is ok to put the cement board down and forget about it?

Old 05-26-10, 10:22 PM
OK, so those are vinyl asbestos tiles. That's the before pic, did you remove the tiles along with the luan yet?

Jaz

Old 05-27-10, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
What do you intend to install? If it's ceramic, Jazman knows more than me. I'm more of a carpet and vinyl installer.

Old 05-27-10, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By the way,

The very tiny tiny tiny exposure you "might" have had with asbestos was probably not harmful at all, in all honesty. People who get sick were typically workers who manufactured that stuff back in the day when there were no environmental controls at all. They were exposed to more asbestos fibers in one hour then you will have in your life time.

I'm don't want to downplay the "potential" hazard, but people tend to think they are gonna die if they are exposed to it. You are exposed to more harmful things on a daily basis then asbestos.

If you haven't taken all the tile up yet, just dampen in down with water mist and wear a simple dust mask.