Carpet over tile...how to remove the glue

Old 05-29-10, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet over tile...how to remove the glue

Just move into a new house and happily discovered one of the bedrooms had carpet over tile. Looks like the carpet strips were glued to the tile. If we were to go ahead and remove the carpet, is there anyway to remove the glue from the tile? We'd love to get back to tile.....as always, THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-10, 09:43 PM
Pink, by your use of the word "tile", are we talking about ceramic/etc tile or vinyl tile? If ceramic tile, the chance of getting off the surface may end up removing some of the baked on finish of the tile. We would use construction glue for tack strip. You really can't refinish a baked on finish. If it's a natural material, then that's another story. So, can you clarify what type of tile or finish it has?

Old 05-30-10, 07:09 AM
Chilly, Good point! I'm pretty sure it's ceramic. Definitely not vinyl and it's almost black in color. I saw some in the attic last night but didn't check it out for porcelain.....don't think it's stone either. The glue is a light brown color....looks like it was troweled on...slightly soft...can stick my finger nail in it....appreciate your help

Old 05-30-10, 10:49 PM
Kay, if it's sticky, I bet it's carpet glue, which you can remove with adhesive remover. Just don't get any in the grout, I don't know what it will do to the grout

Old 05-31-10, 09:01 PM
Smile

Chilly....thanks again....I scraped with a razor blade then tried some basic adhesive remover and it worked like a champ...almost no effort required....though the scraping required some!! Appreciate your help.....

Old 06-01-10, 11:02 AM
awesome, glad to know you were able to use that tile.