Question about Hardibacker 500 Installation over tub lip..

Old 06-07-10, 05:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about Hardibacker 500 Installation over tub lip..

Not sure where else I could have put this thread, but I have a question about Installation of HardiBacker 500 over the tub lip.

I am in the process of redoing my bathroom, but I am having an issue when I put the hardibacker board on the wall over the tub lip, it obviously bows out a little to go over the Lip.

What do most pro's do in this situation? Do they just run the board to the Tub Lip and tip down over the lip?

I am confused b/c it clearly states in the instructions to put the hardibacker board over the top lip about 1/4" from the top tub, so you can tile and then add a 1/8" gab for caulk.

What am I missing?

Old 06-07-10, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can either notch the studs so the lip is flush with the front of the studs or fir out the studs.

Your tile will not look good if you do nothing with it and have it bowed.

If this is a shower combo too, make sure you install your plastic vapor barrier over the studs and have it drap down into the tub. Once the hardie is up, you can trim the plastic.

Old 06-08-10, 07:10 PM
G
I never thought of notching the studs, but that will not work in my scenario b/c I did not restud the bathroom walls, and the wall where the tub is off so in order to fix that I sister'd new 2x4's and plum'd them so now I have a straight service to install hardi on, but that still doesn't help with the Tub.

What do most professionals do when they install the hardi?

Old 06-08-10, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Use 1/4" lattice to face the studs to bring them out to the plumb of the tub edge, then install the cbu allowing it to drop slightly over the lip of the tub, not bowed out, as that will never work.

Old 06-08-10, 07:45 PM
G
Ah, good idea... 1/4" aint a bad idea...

Is it so bad if I bring the CBU right to the lip only and not over it ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: