Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Sintered blades? Using a 6" or 8" profile blade on a 10" tile saw?

Old 06-08-10, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Ridgid R4010 10" tile saw. I am doing about 400 sq ft of travertein flooring (plus some bathroom walls) and I want to use a 3/8" profile blade to smooth the edges. This comes out to roughly 1100 ft of edging I need to do. I had planned to buy a sintered MK blade because I have read the metal bonded blades last a lot longer and provide a smoother cut then the electroplated profile blades. But they are only offered in a 6" and 8" size.

Will my 10" saw be able to use a 6" or 8" profile blade?

Am I correct in going with the sintered blade or will a electroplated profile blade last 1100 ft just fine?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your saw does not allow for blade height adjustments, then I would not even bother.

Normally I'de say get a profiling wheel for a grinder, but 1100 lf is alot! You may even want to think about letting a tile shop do this for you. If you consider the cost of the wheels and your time, it maybe cheaper for them to do it.

Old 06-09-10, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Will my 10" saw be able to use a 6" or 8" profile blade?
I'm not familiar with your saw. I've used a 6" profiling blade on my 10" saw, so yes its ok if the saw will allow.

You'll still have to polish the edges after you run them thru the saw. Thats gonna be a lot of work.

Why do you want to do this. Your gonna profile the edge of all 4 sides of each tile, yes?

If you consider the cost of the wheels and your time, it maybe cheaper for them to do it.
1100 linear ft would cost about $7,000 to $8,000 to have a fabricator do this in my neck of the woods.

This is either gonna be very expensive or very time consuming.