Removing Linoluem

Old 06-20-10, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Linoluem

I posted this in another section until i found this one.

I am tiling my kitchen flooor. I had linlouem that I have ripped up with concrete under that. When I pulled up the linoluem, there was a paper material (from what I understand the backing to the linoluem) that was left over on the ground. I got some stripped and poured that over the paper, let it soak in, then it scraped up fairly easily.

My question is this, after removing the paper, there are parts of the floor that look dark (the concrete i assume) and a bunch of lighter/orangy areas (left over glue residue?). How much do I have to scrape all this stuff up? Do I have to break my back making the floor as new before putting the thinset on for my tiles?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-10, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Using a floor scraper is your best option to get any residual adhesive up. You do not want anything to interfer with the bond of the thinset. Don't use any type of stripper next time, as these products sometimes interfer with the bonding of tile thinset from the film they may leave behind.

Old 06-20-10, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
Now you have to hope the stripper didn't soak into the concrete.

Old 06-21-10, 06:51 AM
i didnt let the stripper sit too long when i first poured it on, and after, i washed the floor with water to get rid of the stripper.

so for the remaining glue residue, how much do i need to remove? will random leftover residue prevent the thinset from bonding?