Grout Lines Under Vinyl Floor

Old 06-24-10, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout Lines Under Vinyl Floor

I am wanting to cover a 4" x 4" ceramic tile floor with a good single piece vinyl. What is the best way to cover the grout lines so they won't show up after the vinyl has been down for awhile?

I have considered a floor leveler product but don't know how they work. Do they flow on or do I have to trowel it on? And how difficult and how successful might it be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-10, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ray

Post this in the vinyl flooring forum. You'll get better info there.

Old 06-25-10, 06:13 AM
I doubt it will work you won't be able to get it smooth enough to keep the lines from telegraphing through. Your best bet is to glue a luan sub floor down and start from scratch

Old 06-25-10, 10:41 AM
It's difficult, if not impossible to glue down 1/4" underlayment and get it flat and well adhered without using some kind of fasteners to hold it in place. I'm not sure what kind of glue you might use over ceramic that would create a good bond to luan either.

There are self leveling compounds that can be used over ceramic tile, and you can get them dead flat. You can also install vinyl over them. I'm not a vinyl guy so I'm not sure if this is the best solution.

Old 06-26-10, 05:57 AM
Thinset would work but you do need to weight the seams down it they aren't flush.

Old 06-26-10, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Just use a cementious based floor patch. Then install vinyl over the top of it. Some of you make things just too difficult.

Old 06-26-10, 02:04 PM
Couldn't figure out how to use quick reply until now. Thanks for your responses. What is a cementious based floo patch? And is it somethling that I must trowel on or does it self level? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-10, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Floor patch would be something like Henry 549 FeatherFinish. There are prob others..but that is one thats commonly available.

I'm no Pro..but I doubt it will actually stick to the surface of the tile itself. It would stick to concrete or grout as long as it is good and clean. Problem might be if you have any lippage or that tile with "dimples" in it....those would still show up over time.

You mix it up and trowel it on smooth. I've used it for some divots in concrete slabs and minor raised cracks.

Have to ask....why not remove the tile? If it's a small area, it shouldn't be that bad.

Old 06-26-10, 02:46 PM
Thx, Gunguy.

I did remove the tile in my smaller bathroom and it was very difficult and then had to use an underlay plywood to get it smooh. This is a bigger bathroom, and I got a lot older in a short time doing it. But I still want to do a good job. The other bathroom turned out really nice.