Un-plumb Walls and Spaces Everywhere; How to Tile?

Old 06-30-10, 09:33 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Un-plumb Walls and Spaces Everywhere; How to Tile?

Nothing is plumb in the kitchen wall spaces where I want to install tile backsplash. If one end of space were higher than the other end gradually, that would have been still easier to cut tiles slanting down or up in one direction gradually. The problem is that all the spaces I have are higher here, then, shorter there, and then higher again in different places.

For example, the left end of the space between the cabinet and countertop is 14", and the right end of the same space is 14 and 1/4". Then, connecting to the right end of that space is where above the sink area, which has an opening with an apron. The entire space here is gradually getting shorter to the right. Then, this leads to another cabinet. The space between the left end is 14 and 1/8", while it ends on the right end only with 13 and 3/4".

I mean HOW IN THE WORLD i am going to cut the tiles to fit these crazy measurements? I spend all morning just to measure back and forth, try to figure how to cut the tiles....... Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-10, 11:06 AM
C
Sorry that I forgot to include more info, as I was really frustrated.

I am using 4x4" tiles with the layout pattern of "layering bricks" (alternating a complete tile of 4"x4" with half of a tile of 2"x4" for the first row).

Old 06-30-10, 11:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would think that a grid-type pattern like this would accentuate the lack of right angles where they are typically expected. Can you put in something between to tile and the top of whatever is below where you want the backsplash? Something without a linear pattern which ends in a straight, level line on top of which you could then start your tile?

Old 06-30-10, 11:59 AM
C
Thanks for your response, Mitch. What type of thing can be put in between the tiles. I have no clue. Even if I put some other design of smaller tiles. They are still at the right angles.... I am not sure what you meant by "something."

Old 06-30-10, 12:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sorry, my post was not clear and I knew that when I wrote it but could not come up with better wording.

I wasn't talking about tiles in that 'middle ground' but couldn't think of any actual item which could go there. Maybe something like a strip of molding on a level line with the tiles above and paint below? Not what you'd want to do but hopefully that makes my idea easier to envision - the idea being whatever is in the area lacking in right angles has no such angles to it to draw attention to the lack of them.

Old 06-30-10, 02:35 PM
C
I got the idea, Mitch. thanks