laying tile over carpet?

Old 08-01-10, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laying tile over carpet?

I have a guy coming over on Tuesday to tile a room in our house that currently has carpet tiles for floor covering. He says he going to put cement board over the carpet, fixing it to the ground the some special cement screws. Then, mortar over the cement board, and then tile.

This sounds fishy to me. I've never heard of tiling over carpeting.

By the way, he quoted us $1,400 + materials for 200-sq. ft. I'm I getting ripped off?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-10, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No no and double no! I'm no tile expert...but thats just wrong in so many ways I can't count.

What is the base material under the carpet? What is the beam/joist spacing and size if any? What kind of tiles will you be putting down...different types require different support. Cenent board gives no support..it just provides a good surface to bond tile to.

Old 08-01-10, 03:21 PM
Under the carpeting is (I think) plywood or O.S.B. subflooring. Unsure of the joist spacing or size. We're putting down some 20" porcelain we got on a closeout.

Don't ask me why the previous owners put carpet tiles in their dining room, but it sure is hideous and must go.

This is hopefully going to look great when it's done. Wainscoting is beautiful. French doors. Very elegant. I just hope I don't get screwed on this installation!

Should I ask this guy for an explanation?

(EDIT: I've just been told joist are 2x10 whatever that means.)

Old 08-01-10, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Don't ask him for an explanation...just ask him to not do the work. At least not if he insists it's ok to do. No Pro would ever install tile over carpet and cement board.

I can't tell you if that support is ok for the tile...like I said..no expert...I just know that they need the info. Still need the spacing between them...oh...and need the span that they cover (span is how far between supports of the joists). If you have a basement below this room..that should be easy.

Old 08-01-10, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This can't be serious question?

I wouldn't allow that guy to step foot in my home. Even if he now says he would rip the carpet up, I still wouldn't allow him to do any work since he already showed he is a complete idiot.

Old 08-01-10, 04:08 PM
The carpet is too soft a substrate for the cbu to correct. You must have a solid underlayment. What are the dimensions of the room and on what centered spacing are the joists? If you have 16" on center joisting, and at least a 3/4" subflooring (more would be better), then the cbu is applied over a thinset base and screwed to the subflooring with coated screws and the seams taped and thinset applied. THEN you can consider installing your tiles.

Old 08-01-10, 04:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Once saw sheet vinyl glued down (sort of) over carpet. Guess what it was six foot wide vinyl and the center seam was poping up. Wasn't there to fix it but the customer asked me how to fix it. One look and I gave her the bad news.she was not happy. It is amazing what some so called pros do out there.

Old 08-01-10, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
See? It's not just me....

Old 08-01-10, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
( I've just been told joist are 2x10 whatever that means.)
It means you've got a good solid floor system that will withstand deflection as a whole. But it could be concrete and it still wouldn't support tile backer correctly if it had carpet left on it. A good base won't "make up" for a soft layer under the tile.
You step on the tile, and it transfers through the mortar, through the cement board, to the soft layer before your weight transfers to the stiff base. (???)

Old 08-01-10, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pasquale

That tile installation should last for at least 1 day, as long as you don't walk on it. Cmon this is a joke, a prank thread right.

As for 2x10 floor joists, thats not enough info to know if your floor joists can support a ceramic tile installation. Whats the on center spacing of the joists, and whats the unsupported joist span and species of wood if known?

If you are serious, and someone wants to actually do this installation, throw him out, lock the door and don't let him back in. Call the cops.

Old 08-01-10, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
This sounds just like a prank post on another forum that I am on. A guy there supposedly put tile over carpet. No one could be that dumb.

Old 08-01-10, 07:40 PM
Hey.....Pasquale,

It's August 1st, not April fools day. Lock the door if you're serious.

Jaz

Old 08-02-10, 04:37 AM
benny361, welcome to the forums! Hopefully you'll get to post number 2. Post number 1 was way out there. We don't "create". We give good solid advice and know if it will work or not. You can't get that many negative answers and believe "it's a good idea". Good luck.

Old 08-02-10, 09:02 AM
Exclamation

See, this is what I hate about forums.

It's arrogant and destructive to label someone as a "troll" or prankster because their questions betray a level of knowledge that's not up to par with everyone else's. This guy's not saying he's had the tile installed over carpet; the guy is saying he has an installer coming over who plans to lay the tile over carpet squares. The original poster is not an expert, and that's probably why he came here to run it by everyone first. "No one could be that dumb" huh? Strike one, dude.

Not everyone's a tile installer. At least he looks before he leaps.

Old 08-02-10, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Scared....no one called him a troll or prankster.....they asked if he was serious and expressed incredulism that any "installer" would even suggest it. One person (with beau coup experience) said it sounded like a post on another forum where it was actually done.

If you read past the "SAY WHAT???" parts of the posts...almost everyone has either given advise or asked for more details to assist the OP. I think every responder here (except me) is in the trades and does this sort of stuff for a living.

Old 08-02-10, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
This sounds just like a prank post on another forum that I am on. A guy there supposedly put tile over carpet. No one could be that dumb.

One of the reasons I've gravitated toward this DIY site over the past two months is because it's friendlier than the other, big DIY site. (You know the one I mean.) Over there, a person could ask a question like, 'if I'm tiling a backsplash, do I use thinset or mastic," and he'll get labelled a troll, get ridiculed, and possibly have his account suspended because the mods think he's trying to obstruct on-topic discussion.

Worst case scenario here: Say the guy had the porcelain laid over the carpet squares. At least it wasn't over some kind of wall-to-wall shag. Carpet squares are usually of the rec. room variety, which is extremely firm. No padding.

Last edited by scared_weekend_; 08-02-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
This poster even lives in the same county as the prankster on the other forum.

Old 08-02-10, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
This poster even lives in the same county as the prankster on the other forum.
That's not saying much.

"Cook County is a county in the U.S. state of Illinois. It is the second most populous county in the United States after Los Angeles County. The county has 5,294,664 residents, which is 43.3% of all Illinois residents."

All I'm saying is chill out on the guy.

Old 08-02-10, 05:43 PM
I have bit my tongue, but it's sore, now, so I'll let go. I'll have to agree with the others in that no one has commented directly on the OP's expertise. We realize he has someone coming in who pretends to be a tile installer. We were trying to keep him from making a mistake that professionals see right through. Hating forums is what brought you here, right? If you come here to make comments that aren't true or inflame others, we invite you to a less stressful forum. The expertise expressed here (free from professionals, I might add) is unsurpassed. Had the OP allowed the "installer" to put in the tile over the carpet, we would have been remiss in our quick sure advice. We do this stuff every day know what will work and what borders on the ridiculous.
I am normally a controlled nice guy, just don't poke me with a stick.