Planning a granite floor tile project

Old 08-01-10, 07:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Planning a granite floor tile project

Hey,
For a while I've wanted to do some tiling in my home, and I think this fall is finally the time to do it. I have some money put aside and a general idea of what I want to do. I thought I'd get the community's two cents here on a few things.

I've been reading up on how to do installs on floor tiles, and it seems like a project I am capable of doing. I was just reading a guide on how to do an install over at Installing Granite Floor Tile Tips and I think I am ready to go as far as equipment and installation goes.

Now I just need to buy the tile. What do you guys recommend as far as pricing goes? Should I go to my local Home Depot and Lowes, or perhaps a place that specializes in tile? Are there any good shops online I could buy from, and possibly get a discount? I feel like shipping could be expensive. I am kind of open to different styles of floor tile. I feel like it was impulsive, but I actually like the tile sample on the homepage of the guide I was reading: Granite Floor Tile - Tile Selections and Resources

That looks like a pretty generic style. I think the nice thing about me not being fussy is that I could maybe find something on clearance or reduction, and as long as it's something I like design the rest of the room based on the color selection.

Also does anyone here have any threads about tiling projects you have done? I've browsed a few so far and have been inspired by what I see, but definitely want to see more.

Cheers,
DanV

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-10, 04:12 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Dan

Before you get started, will you be installing the granite on a concrete slab or on a wood framed floor?

As to where to buy the tile, a local tile shop would be a better choice. You'll find more knowledgeable sales people better selections and overall better quality products.

Old 08-06-10, 12:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Dan

Before you get started, will you be installing the granite on a concrete slab or on a wood framed floor?

As to where to buy the tile, a local tile shop would be a better choice. You'll find more knowledgeable sales people better selections and overall better quality products.
Hi,
I am doing it on a wood framed floor.

I started contacting local shops this week, thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-06-10, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
You realize that the floor will have to be even stronger for a granite floor than for ceramic, I hope. Any deflection and it will crack.

Old 08-06-10, 05:41 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I am doing it on a wood framed floor.
Dan

The reason I asked this question is that natural stone tile needs a much stiffer floor than ceramic tile. Most floor joist framing is not suited for a natural stone installation.

What size are your floor joists, what is their on center spacing and what is the span of the joists between supports from below? If you now the wood species of the joists, thats helpful too.

Additionally, all natural stone installations require 2 layers of plywood. Is your subfloor plywood, OSB or something else? How thick is it? Give details of each layer of subfloor and underlayment that you have currently.

Old 08-06-10, 09:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
In addition to the stiffness factor mentioned, I don't like natural stone surfaces like this because they do require sealing, where a ceramic does not. However, that's your call.