Leveling A Concrete Floor

Old 08-05-10, 11:39 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leveling A Concrete Floor

I have a finished basement thats about 1000 sq ft. We recently had flooding and we needed to pull the carpet up. After doing so, I saw that the foundation has several hair line cracks. So we are thinking about laying ceramic tile down but have a few questions before we do so.

1. There are spots that need leveling in the basement, but I am assuming that once you level one spot you'll have to do it all. What is the best and easiest way to level a room that is about 20 ft by 20 ft (in sections, or all at once)

2. Will ceramic tile come up if water gets under it through hydrostatic pressure? (I thought this was the reason you get ceramic)

3. Any cons to ceramic that I am not thinking about?

Old 08-05-10, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert on this, but it seems like your just throwing the idea of ceramic tile in a basement out there, right? Are you aware of leveling compounds?

I was always told that no matter how level a basement floor is to never attempt to do a full installation. Only small areas can be done with ceramic in basements.

I know this because I once tried to hire a flooring contractor to tile a large area in my own basement. He refused to do the job. When I tried to sweeten the deal by offering a little more money, he gathered up his estimation materials (tape measure, calculator, flooring samples, etc.), walked out the door, got into his truck and drove away.

Old 08-05-10, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
On the contrary to waht scared_weekend said, you can install tile in a basement if you don't have a water problem (hydrostatic). Hydrostatic is when water is forced from the ground up through the concrete. You would have noticed this if you had carpet before.

They have self leveling cement that you can pour over the area to flatten out the floor if needed. It sets up fairly quick, so helpers would be adviceable.

I would also think about installing a crack isolation membrane down like Noble CIS.

Also remember, ceramic will be colder on the feet, so throw down some rugs over the areas you walk on the most.

Old 08-06-10, 06:14 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
2. Will ceramic tile come up if water gets under it through hydrostatic pressure? (I thought this was the reason you get ceramic)
Are you having water problems now? Is that why you are wanting to install ceramic tile?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: