Black goop under linoleum

Old 08-06-10, 06:21 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black goop under linoleum

Maybe this is "Flooring" related… or not. 1st post, BTW.

Comprehensively remodeling kitchen in 1949 (this part, at least) house. Under the late-60's vinyl sheet floor was hardboard, held down by 1000's of perhaps 1-1/4" staples, Once that was up, found what I presumed to be the original linoleum floor, which I was able to laboriously chisel up in fragments. Under it all there is unfinished T&G oak (except under the attached breakfast nook, another story) but in between was a layer of tar paper impregnated with a black tar-like -- well, I'll say "adhesive". I have spent 1.5 weeks of evenings & weekends on my knees using various hand scrapers and got a lot of it off, but I'd like to get to 100%. Anyone know what this is and maybe what solvent (I have not tried that method yet) could yield results? My goal is clean & smooth enough for the base material for ceramic tile. TIA and apologies if my "homeowner jargon" is inaccurate of vague.

("Search" revealed a topic on VINYL adhesive, could not find one on Linoleum)

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-10, 08:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Never once seen Linoleum glued down except on kitchen counter tops when I was growing up but I could be wrong. What you have if it appears to be in three foot wide strips is tar paper. It was used to keep the boards underneath from form forming a pattern in the Linoleum. Over the years heat and pressure has unintentionally glued it down. Scrape it down as much as you can and in a hidden area try mineral spirits.

Old 08-06-10, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably just tar paper. But I did run into one where a DIYer put cutback under the Linoleum.

Old 08-06-10, 09:50 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Tiger

Keep in mind that your gonna have to put plywood over the oak T&G boards anyway, before you install cement board for your ceramic tile. So get it as good as you can, but it doesnt have to be perfect.

Old 08-06-10, 10:00 AM
T
Thanks, all.

Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
gonna have to put plywood over the oak T&G boards anyway.
Really? This is my 1st tile job over wood & not concrete. Subfloor 1x6, then 3/4 oak T&G, then plywood, then cement board, then tile, that's going to be one thick floor.

Old 08-06-10, 10:09 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ok

So you have 1x6 planks then t&g oak over the planks, yes? If thats the case, then remove the t&g oak and install plywood in its place. You cannot install cement board directly over the t&g oak as it is way to unstable, too much independent movement of the boards for a tile installation to handle.

From your original post, I thought the t&g oak planks were your subfloor.

Old 08-06-10, 11:01 AM
T
Thanks, makes perfect sense.

Unless I can get away with something like 1/4" ply just to stabilize the surface, ain't worth it and I'll just put down sheet vinyl -- not wed to the idea of ceramic tile.

Old 08-06-10, 11:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If you're going to go with vinyl, you'll definitely have to get the surface a lot closer to perfect, vinyl shows imperfections in the flooring pretty well

Old 08-06-10, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
1/4" ply won't stabilize it.