floor tile meets wall tile

Old 08-15-10, 06:14 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floor tile meets wall tile

I have finished laying tile in my bathroom and I am not sure what to do next. I replaced wall tile with 3x6 subway tiles first, then I replaced the floor with 12x12 porcelain tile.

There is a vertical space between the floor and the wall of about 1/4-3/8 inch. The wall tile is grouted with white unsanded grout and floor is not grouted yet but I was going to grout it with a platinum colour sanded grout.

I was wondering what I should do with the 1/4-3/8 inch vertical space between the floor and the wall. Should I fill it with the white grout? Does it need to be caulked? I realize I messed up to get to this problem in the first place!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-10, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
That's why we lay the floor first. BUT, since you didn't, we'll have to deal with the gap. You can buy one edge finished tile to match your wall tile, cut the bottom off, leaving a piece about 2" tall. Adhere this finished edge tile to your wall tile allowing it to fall flat on the floor tile. Grout the floor and the wall respectively. It will act as a shoe molding, but will look like your wall tile.
Others will have better ideas, I'm sure, so stay tuned.

Old 08-16-10, 12:11 AM
newtracy, since chandler didn't question it, I guess it's a given. You said vertical referring to the floor and wall, so I'm wondering that maybe you are meaning horizontal? Regardless, you can use a grout caulking for this area for two reasons; one the caulk with help a bit with movement, two it's not recommended to go past 3/16-1/8 joints for non-sanded.

Here's my suggestion: tape off the wall tile at its' edge and grout the floor. After the grout is set, tape off the floor edge and use non-sanded grout caulking that matches the wall and go over the area where your floor grout reached the wall. Again, I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions. good luck

Old 08-16-10, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Chilly, great idea, but would you not recommend using sanded grout caulk rather than unsanded? It may have more "stamina" to hold it's form to span the gap. Just a thought.

Old 08-16-10, 08:21 PM
hey chandler Since caulking can get messy, whether you use non or sanded, I suggested that he grout that area with his sanded grout and then go back and caulk over to blend in with the wall grout. Sanded grout will hold it's form better because of the sand, but in this case, I thought it would be easier this way.