Tiling over uninsulated spaces???

Old 09-02-10, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling over uninsulated spaces???

Hi Again! My next tiling project in my house is the back half of the LR. It is currently carpeted and it looks nasty thanks to all the Carolina clay that has been tracked in and out of the house. One thing, there is ~30sqft "nook" (I have no idea what they are really called) where the back door is that juts out away from the foundation. It is not insulated nor is there any vapor barrier since its just hanging out by itself. Aside from that, it meets the deflecto standards, but how can I address the vapor barrier and insulation aspect? Is it even wise to tile here or should I go w/ wood floor? I'd like to use ditra, since I've been using it with all the other areas I've been working on and I'll be laying 12" porcelain tiles.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tile it like you would elsewhere. Make sure the plywood is in good condition and is at least 5/8" thick. Ditra is a good choice.

Old 09-03-10, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
This is what we have in our entryways, no problems with putting tile down, even though the boss goes directly over the old vinyl (which is a bad idea but it's not my call)

Old 09-03-10, 10:33 AM
Sweet! Thanks guys I'm really looking forward to getting rid of the carpet there!