tile over vinyl over concrete

Old 09-09-10, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile over vinyl over concrete

I have tried to remove the sheet vinyl flooring and get nowhere. It is really stuck down well to the concrete floor. Both were new in 1975. It seems to be a very hard vinyl and not the cushioned type. I was told it's OK to cover the vinyl with a thinset and then tile as normal. Is that correct? Is there a "best" thinset to use? How thick should I make the thinset cover?

Can self leveling thinset be mixed thinner than recommended to help it with it's self-leveling or will that cause other problems? I know it will dry slower but I live alone and have another full bath. I can stay out of there as long as required..

If you think there is more I need to know and was too ignorant to ask please tell me.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-10, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Generally speaking, the vinyl needs to come up

That said, this is the situation we have in all of our entryways and we just tile right over the vinyl as if it wasn't there and have not had any problems

Old 09-09-10, 08:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I won't ever recommend tiling over vinyl...just not worth the risk in my opinion. We had very hard and brittle vinyl in our entry way. This entryway was only about 4 x 12 and took about 5 hrs to remove. A heat gun was needed to soften the adhesive and many floor scraper blades.

Old 09-10-10, 01:54 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I have tried to remove the sheet vinyl flooring and get nowhere.
How did you try to remove the vinyl. You should be able to remove it with a razor scraper and some elbow grease. Its not always easy, but its definitely the best way to proceed.

The vinyl adhesive and the vinyl itself were never meant by their manufacturers to be used in a tile installation. You'll be relying on the bond of the vinyl to the concrete and the structural intergrity of the vinyl itself to insure that you dont have a failure. Only you can decide if you want to take that risk.

There are thinsets that can be used over vinyl. If you decide to go that route, follow the installation instructions from the manufacturer.