Needing serious help with self leveling cement floor

Old 09-18-10, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Needing serious help with self leveling cement floor

My son and I poured a self leveling cement in his room to do an acid stain. He mixed the first batch and insisted it was way too thin so he decided to add a bit more concrete. I got mad as I wanted to follow directions exactly. So we pored the first bucket and it of course dried way too fast. The floor ended up a bit too high in that part of the room and there are lots of rough patches.
The next steps are too pour 2 thin layers of a microtopping.
I am wondering if I should first do a thin, maybe a bit watery layer of the SLU to get the floor smoother first? Or will the microtopping smooth it out? Or do I need to sand it down to a smoother surface?
I would truly appreciate any constructive assistance! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-10, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You got it wrong.....your SON should be sanding the high spot down. Directions, albeit foreign to most of us, are there for a reason, especially on an untried product. Thickening it had a predictable outcome. Not seeing the raised area it would be difficult for us to determine if the micro layers would help or not. But, don't do the opposite and water it down...directions, remember?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but some things we can't fix quickly. You may post pictures by using these instructions if you wish. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 09-18-10, 10:54 PM
is "self leveling" stainable ? i am thinking not.

Old 09-19-10, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It may stain, but it certainly would not be the final product normal concrete would give. I agree with that. The OP may be relegated to installing ceramic tile, not sure.

Old 09-20-10, 11:35 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The Tec slc I use says this.

Not recommended for use as a wear surface.
I'm not sure if all slc's say this or something like it. I suspect that they do though.

Old 09-23-10, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
It may stain, but it certainly would not be the final product normal concrete would give. I agree with that. The OP may be relegated to installing ceramic tile, not sure.
thinking about it. i don't think it is a (what is the word i am looking for ?) "usable" surface.
i used self leveling, and it was not tough at all. plenty good enough to put something over it. but NOT to walk on it.
(maybe i mixed it wrong ?)

Old 10-06-10, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
It depends on the self leveller, Ardex makes a number of products which can take a stain.

As for the levelling itself, I would recommend mixing as per manufacturer specs, they are there for a reason. Most self levellers have a time to set of 8 minutes or less, which means you need to pour them fast. In addition, pouring into recent pours creates a wave effect when fresh SLC runs into SLC which has already developed surface tension. In the future, I would recommend running a large drywall knife lightly over the surface which will break the overall tension and give a nice flat surface.

As for your rough spots that is likely due to mixing too thick as well as futzing with the material once it has taken an initial set. get it in, break the tension, and leave it alone to do it's thing. Some surface bubbles are normal due to outgassing, but they are easily taken care of by scraping the surface of the material once it has hardened.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Old 10-07-10, 02:43 PM
It depends on the self leveller, Ardex makes a number of products which can take a stain.
Shotty, I'm not familiar with the Ardex products. They make slc's that can be used as a wear surface? I'm assuming yes, as you say they can take a stain. Never seen slc used as a finished floor before. Hmmm!

Old 10-07-10, 09:38 PM
Heres Johnhy,

indeed they do, the specific product that comes to mind is Ardex SD-T here's a link just in case you're curious

ARDEX Engineered Cements

I've got fairly substantial experience with their products as I've levelled a number of hospital jobs (one of the ways my employer is trying to branch out).

I've been told you can use K-15 as a finished floor, though i don't know if it is stainable or will take any kind of special finish.

Old 10-08-10, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the info on the SD-T

I looked at the K-15 cause my brother says we have used it in the past (I don't remember). Ardex says its not a wear surface, and gives a list of their other products that are. They say SD-T, K 500 and k301 can be used as a wear surface.

Old 10-10-10, 08:30 AM
that stuff looks great

will it hold up to :
car traffic ? like in a garage or driveway ?
weather. say, to put on a patio slab. and resist freezing and all that implies ?

all of the concrete fix products i have ever seen (i am not a pro) do not last. they always end up breaking off the slab.

thanx

Old 10-10-10, 09:37 AM
condo-owner

It will definately stand up to traffic from a car. The compressions incredible, strength is incredible. My concern would be with oil leaks and the like, I'm not sure how well it would react to things which could stain it.

As for outdoors, I'm not sure, you could always contact Ardex and ask. I'm sure they have products capable of it, but I don't know offhand which it would be, as I typically only do indoor work.

One other thing to consider, Ardex products are VERY expensive relative to other SLC products on the market.

Old 10-10-10, 10:31 AM
interesting, thanx.

btw
welcome to the forum