Removing 40 year old vinyl

Old 09-19-10, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing 40 year old vinyl

I'm getting ready to replace carpeting in a downstairs (basment of split ranch) hallway with 12 x12 tile to match an entry tile. I've read and understand the Sticky and numerous posts regarding removal of the vinyl prior to preparing the concrete floor for tile. The hallway gets low traffic.

That said, there are two major issues that I am concerned about:
1. The tile is old (probably 40 yrs) flat surface sheet vinyl. Asbestos issue?
2. The glue used is a black/brown tar like substance that wants to adhere to the concrete like it was born there. What is the best way to remove this?

The vinyl seems like it is part of the cement subflooring at this point - since this is a low traffic area, couldn't I just tile over the vinyl?

Thanks -
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-10, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
If the old vinyl is securely stuck, just tile over it.

Old 09-19-10, 08:46 AM
Thanks., Sam

I guess just use a self-levelling thinset?

Old 09-19-10, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And when you're over 60, forty year old tile isn't old. If the tile has no issues like cut out places, etc., use thinset. Not sure what "self leveling" thinset is. Thinset is forgiving in that you can make subtle adjustments as you lay the tile.

Old 09-19-10, 06:01 PM
No such thin as self-levelling thin set. Thin set is the adhesive.

Sure sounds like you have vinyl asbestos tiles, but you also said it's sheet vinyl. The VAT was glued with a black tar base adhesive, sometimes called asphalt emulsion and sometimes cutback. Sheet goods were glued with a different type of adhesive. Which is it?

Obviously at least a few of the tiles are up already. It is best if they were all removed since it's very likely that at least some may not be stuck all that well. Especially around the perimeter of the room where there is little traffic.

Having said that, it is possible to bond ceramic tiles to the old vinyl tiles. You'd have tap every piece to check for good bond by the sound and then hope for the best. You can take the chance, a pro shouldn't.

Decide which way you wanna go, then report back here cuz you'll need further info as to what to use and how.

Jaz

Old 09-20-10, 04:41 PM
Gentlemen -
Sorry for the confusion - it's sheet vinyl - I had removed it in the downstairs bathroom,cutting it at the doorway to the hall, and that's how I found out about the messy adhesive.....

I definitely want to do the ceramic 12 x 12tile.
Thanks for the assistance

Blessings,
Debbie

Old 09-21-10, 06:01 PM
I had removed it in the downstairs bathroom,cutting it at the doorway to the hall, and that's how I found out about the messy adhesive.....
Since you already know how to remove the vinyl, removing the rest would be your best bet. Installing ceramic tile over vinyl is risky business and failures are expensive. My vote is REMOVE THE VINYL.