how to grout gold tumble travertine in the shower

Old 09-28-10, 07:36 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to grout gold tumble travertine in the shower

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you for advice. I have heard people who suggested to seal the travetine before applying the grout. Also, others said not to before grouting. My travertine have a lot of holes and I want to fill them with grout. I have 2 questions for you all. First, do I need or don't need to seal it before I grout? Do I need to use additive to mix with the grout to make it stronger? Thanks!

Old 09-29-10, 08:26 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You do not have to seal the travertine before you grout. Todays grouts already have additives in the dry mix. Do not add any additive unless the instructions tell you to do so.

Old 09-29-10, 10:29 AM
T
Thanks HeresJohnny.

For this project, I bought the Mapei sanded grout from Lowes because some of the holes are bigger than 1/8. I should be Ok. Correct?

Old 09-29-10, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you are correct......

Old 10-06-10, 09:16 PM
S
The only purpose in sealing the travertine prior to grouting is to act as a grout release in the case that you do not want to fill the voids with grout. It helps keep the grout from bonding or discoloring the tile, which is always a danger with stone.

In your case, since you want to fill the voids, sealing the tile first would be counterproductive as it would provide a bond breaker on the surface you are trying to bond to.

Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: