grout waterproofing ...

Old 09-30-10, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grout waterproofing ...

I've laid porcelain tiles on the balcony (KeraBond, KeraLastic and UltraColor grout). I am concerned with water pooling in several areas as I live in a freeze/thaw climate. Can I (shoud I) use a masonary waterproofing product (such as Waterseal) to ensure that no water penetrates the grout?
thank you
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-10, 07:13 PM
You should apply a grout sealer, but sealers do NOT make grout waterproof, it's not possible.

Grout sealers are a maintenance thing. What they do is slow down the penetration of liquids so you have more time to wipe whatever was spilled. I'm thinking it might give you about 30 minutes depending on the sealer and number of coats etc.

In order for to make grout waterproof you'd have to apply something that makes like a sheet of plastic over it. That's not possible, but if it were, 1: water would still enter the system through hairline cracks. 2: moisture would want to evaporate up through the grout causing the 'plastic sealer' to peel off. Kinda like oil base paints on outdoor lumber.

OK, so you think you have a 'bird-bath' in your balcony floor? That should have been addressed prior to setting the tiles. You're also supposed to have run off of 1/4" per ft. min., So I guess the balcony is flat.

Jaz

Old 10-01-10, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info ... yes, I did screw up !!!