Question about laying a tile floor in a kitchen

Old 10-30-10, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about laying a tile floor in a kitchen

I would like to lay 12"x12" tiles in my kitchen. I checked the joist size and spacing. The joists are 2x8s spaced at between 16" and 18" OC - the unsupported joist length is 12'. The current floor is 5/8" ply, with 1/4" ply on top with linoleum tiles on top of that.

Reading various discussions it seems like the best way to start is to set my saw to the thickness of the linoleum plus 1/4" ply and cut that into sections that can be pry'ed off the 5/8" ply. Does this make sense. Should I be concerned about asbestos - the house is 20 years old if that helps.

Once I have the linoleum and 1/4" ply up what sort of sub floor do I need to put in? Do I need another layer of plywood or can I just go with a layer of thinset followed by cement board? Should I use 1/4" or 1/2" cement board? Do I need an additional layer of ply before I put the cement board down? Ideally I don't want to add more than 3/4" to the 5/8" ply so that the tile height ends up very close to the adjacent wood floor.

Obviously I don't want to do unnecessary work but I'd prefer to do the job right the first time and avoid doing it again. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-10, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Laying an additional 1/2" plywood, 1/4" cbu, then the tile will bring you close to what you want and give the support needed. Asbestos probably wasn't used in your 80's home. You will want to wear a mask anytime you do demolition, anyway, whether asbestos is there or not. A good, clean pull up won't exude enough particulate to matter if it was asbestos.

Old 11-01-10, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If your 2x8's span 12', you joists are marginal at best, and you should do something to beef them up. Either a support wall from below to shorten the span, or sistering the middle 2/3 rds of the span would work. 5/8" plywood subfloor is the bare bones minimum for 16" oc joist spacing. If some of the joists oc spacing exceeds 16", you should add a second layer of plywood (minimum 3/8", but 1/2" would be better), then you can install 1/4" cement board or an isolation membrane.

Shouldn't have any asbestos containing materials in a 20 year old house, but ya never know for sure unless you have the materials tested. You can remove the lino and 1/4" underlayment the way you described.