Leveling a concrete floor for tile

Old 11-07-10, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leveling a concrete floor for tile

So I'm working on the basement floor of my 60 year old house and trying to level the floor where there once was a floor drain. Luckily, there's not really a water problem in the basement, 'cause the floor drain has been filled in. However, I got it in my head that it would be cool to put in 12x12 ceramic tile on the area close to the drain. Now, my mother maintains that the floor doesn't need to be mirror flat in order to put in the tile, that a gentle incline is ok. I'm of the opinion that a 3/4" incline over 4 feet is just too much and that it should be far more level than that. I've been working with Level-Quick, but it's taking tons more than I'd planned, and is costing a fortune, along with the fact that I don't have a drill that will mix it, so I'm mixing it with my hands and wearing myself out to do it. Any thoughts? Ideas? Brilliant solutions?
Sarah

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-10, 06:13 PM
seems to me that you are trying to make the floor "level". it does not need to be level.

it does need to be "flat" (or pretty darned close) for that size tiles.

Old 11-07-10, 06:18 PM
Yeah, it kind of cups inward to where the drain is/was, so it's not level in a plethora of directions, hence not flat, does that make more sense?

Old 11-07-10, 07:09 PM
can you post a pic/s ? that would help a lot.

i do know what you are saying. must you have those tiles ?
if you use small tiles you can leave it as it was.

post your pic/s to imageshack. copy/paste the link here.

Old 11-07-10, 07:37 PM
I can try, but I have a feeling that it probably won't photograph especially well, being as I can barely actually see it without watching the way water runs to the drain area, but it's kind of like a funnel. I've already bought all of the tile, so that's what I'm planning on using. Also, I really like the look of the 12x12.