Hairline crack in shower floor grout. Should I care?

Old 11-19-10, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hairline crack in shower floor grout. Should I care?

Hello
I just noticed a hairline crack in a grout line on my shower floor. My shower is only 2 years old. However, the house was a short sale and the builder "disappeared" so I don't know the construction methods used.

My questions are:
1. Should I care enough about this crack to repair it by removing the 3 inches of old grout and putting in new grout? From my research I have learned that grout does not prevent water from seeping down and that the water proofing system under the tile actually does the job of keeping the wood underneath dry. (Since I don't know the construction methods I am in the dark on this)

2. About a year ago I noticed that the grout in the wall/floor seams was what I would consider lacking. I decided to put caulking around the seams to help protect from the water. Now the caulk is disgusting and turning while. It was clear. I want to replace the caulk but want to make sure that it is ok to put caulk over grout in the corners.

Here are some pics. The first one is the crack and the second is just to give you an idea of the tile size.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-10, 10:24 PM
You've most likely seen my answer at the other forum you posted, but I thought people visiting this forum might also benefit.
Hi,

Yes you should repair the cracked grout. While tile and grout do not make the shower floor waterproof, the cracks allow much more shower water into the system.

I'll bet the base was not built with the required sloped membrane which would allow any moisture to escape thru the weep holes. Building shower pans wrong is very common. This may be an indication since you're also having problems at the floor/wall junction.

I don't think caulk over grout is a good practice, just fast. I think you meant to write it's turning white, this could be efflorescence, another indication that the deck mud is saturated. The next step is it'll turn brown or black.

Jaz

Old 11-20-10, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. This seems to get more complicated by the post.

I spent hours last night cutting out the caulking from edges. Portions of the caulk had let water underneath and allowed mold to grow. Good thing I ripped it out. I went through 8 razor blades trying to get it all out.

The situation is more dire than I originally thought. More pictures are included. I found a cracked tile and the grout at the edges is basically failing now.

I'm wondering if I should replace the entire floor at this point? I get the feeling that problems are going to continue to pop up plus I hate the tiles that are on the floor now.

Old 11-20-10, 10:15 AM
Since you're having these problems and you hate the tiles anyway, go ahead and remove the tiles and probably to concrete base under it. Be very careful not to damage the shower membrane under the concrete though. First familiarize yourself how a shower is built using the "old" method as yours most likely is. http://picasaweb.google.com/jazcasti...67724695542178

You'll then mix the new deck mud, (get back on that when ready), make the proper slope then set the new tiles the next day. Be aware this will not cure all the mistakes I suspect, (no pre-slope for one), it'll be an improvement.

There's much more to know, but decide if you're gona rip it out first.

Jaz

Old 11-20-10, 02:30 PM
Regrout or replace?

I believe that I have cleaned the shower wall tile so much that I have missing grout between the tiles. Should I regrout , if so how; or take it all down and re-tile? How to do that as well. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 11-21-10, 03:47 PM
Cleaning the grout should not cause it to crack and fall out. You've got something wrong there some place.

BTW, you should start your own thread, and not hijack this one.

Jaz