Warped backer board

Old 11-29-10, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Warped backer board

Hi,
I'm installing porcelain floor tile in a small bathroom. I have some 1/4" CBU left over from a project from several years ago that has been stored upright in the garage. The weight of other stuff leaned against it has made the sheets warp. Is it OK to use or should I buy new ones? I plan on screwing it down.

thx, Don

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-10, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For $10 a sheet, you would chance it??? You will need to thinset AND screw down any cbu, new or otherwise. I'd invest in new.
Our posts collided, Tom. I don't know if I would chance it since the rigidity of the fiber in the cbu may be compromised by bending it. Then, again, I'm not sure how much the "bend" is, either.

Old 11-30-10, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
You have the same moniker (almost) as one of the honchos here....it was a bit confusing to me til I saw the post count.

Old 11-30-10, 01:42 PM
Well, kiss my grits. I thought it would be odd for Tom to be answering a mundane post (not that the OP's post was mundane, by any means), rather than handling all the money. Yeah, may want to change that moniker if possible.

Old 11-30-10, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think that I may have issues with the thinset squeezing out as I force the board down.

Since I'm buying new, would I be better of with hardiebacker rather than durock?

thx, Don

Old 11-30-10, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think there's much difference though for some reason I find the Hardi a bit easier to work with, esp when trimming for odd shapes. Only used either one a few times, so no expert.

I probably shouldn't say this...but have you thought of laying them flat for a while..and if they don't level out..just return them for store credit?

Not like you are the guy I encountered who stole 3000lf of molding from somewhere and stuck a barcode on it..then returned it to our store.

They'll either get credit, dump it and write it off, or mark it down for someone else to use.

Old 11-30-10, 04:12 PM
Just a personal preference, but Hardie backer gives a cutting grid to help with corners, etc. and a screwing pattern. No guessing.

Old 11-30-10, 06:26 PM
I'll try laying it down to se if it flattens out. If not I'll dump it and get the hardiebacker. Probably can't return it - I've had this stuff in the garage for 5 years.