Travertine tile

Old 12-17-10, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Travertine tile

After new tile is laid I want to polish it. Being a new floor , what are the necessary steps? They are honed and filled. Also at carpet transitions in the bedrooms I will have a big drop, so my plan is to miter the tile on the trim side of the door ( no grout lines) on outside so it ramps down to the carpet level at midpoint under the door. Is there a better way? My other option is to leave the existing ceramic tile in the bedrooms and carpet over it, so the hight wiold be closer. I dont like this because I will have a hard time installing tack strips and Im afraid it will be noticeable under foot. What do you all think? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-10, 12:51 PM
Hi,

My first thought was, why will there be a big drop to the bedroom? Is this on a slab or wooden subfloor? I can't answer the question without knowing what the substrate is and the method of installation along with thicknesses and sizes. We'll wait for you info.

As to the finish of the travertine, if you want shiny, you should buy shiny, not honed. You can apply a topical polish, but it will not look like polished travertine and you'll have even more maintenance.

Jaz

Old 12-17-10, 03:40 PM
Its on a concrete slab and Im floating it in a mortar bed, so about an inch wherever I stop.

Old 12-18-10, 06:38 AM
I figured out how to polish. Polished tiles cost 3 times as much, so I want to do it myself. From what I researched (mostly on youtube) I need to start with 800 grit diamond pad then 1500 then 3000 until I get the shine I want. The pads are less than$300 for a kit and I can rent a machine for $80 a day. I will not use anything other than water while sanding so the sealers and polishing compounds wont be an issue in posssibly discoloring or staining the stone.