Cutting Porcelain tile already on the floor

Old 01-03-11, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Porcelain tile already on the floor

I am installing a new patio door and I must cut the porcelain tile that is already installed on the floor. I have a diamond glass cutting blade that I am running in my circular saw but it will not cut. Is there a difference between glass cutting diamond blades and others that may be better suited for porcelain?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-11, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I have a diamond glass cutting blade that I am running in my circular saw but it will not cut.
I've never heard of such a blade to be used for a regular circular saw. Are you sure it's not just a carbide blade?

You need a wet-cutting circular saw like this;http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

You may still have a problem cutting the last few inches. Do you have extra tiles from the original installation?

Jaz

Old 01-03-11, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Diamond blade on an angle grinder will work as well. You'll need a steady hand. If you are removing the door jambs, maybe, just maybe you may be able to make the whole cut. Or maybe not.

Jaz, cool saw, do you have one of those?

Old 01-03-11, 04:44 PM
It is a Qep blade made for wet cutting of glass tiles. I did some research since.

I do have a few tiles left over from the original installation. If I make a bad cut on the ones I am trying to save, then I will remove them completely and install the new ones. They are easy to cut with a wet saw if they are not already installed.

Old 01-03-11, 04:49 PM
Nice saw! It would make a wet mess all around, wouldn't it. But that's what is so great about tile, it laughs at water. I'd just build a towel dam all around so it wouldn't get away from me.

I found a dry cutting blade for porcelain on the web so I'm going to give that a try. If it doesn't work, I'll look into buying the saw you suggest. That's one thing I like about DIY. With the money we save on every job we can justify buying a new tool.

Thanks everyone. I'm on a better track.

Old 01-03-11, 06:32 PM
Yes I have a similar saw, bought it about 17-18 years ago for over $250. I've used it about a dozen times is all. Yes, it can make one hellava roostertail of dirty water.

I bought it to cut the grout & remove 6x6 quarry tiles in a commercial area that would tent every year. Every year 300-400 ft would tent. The center could be about 24" off the floor. I'd fix it using a high quality modified thin set, then the next year an adjacent area would pop. Eventually we removed the entire 9,000 sq. ft.

Jaz