Tile with glue??

Old 01-06-11, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile with glue??

In the last week I have seen two DIY tv shows where construction adhesive was used to adhere tile to a backsplash and a countertop.
For the plywood countertop the guy just put a bead on the back of the tile and plopped it down.

Has anyone used construction adhesive for tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-11, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wayne

Thats the beauty of tv, they can do what ever they want. No need to research anything and do it the right way. Just do it and hope that whoever is watching doesnt know any better. Hopefully who ever watched those episodes does a little research before they jump into a project like that.

Old 01-06-11, 03:57 PM
I agree with Johnny, many of those shows are a joke. Even Mike Holmes makes an error now and then when it comes to tile work. And then there's You Tube! YIKES!

Jaz

Old 01-06-11, 05:07 PM
But the question remains - is a construction adhesive an acceptable method for laying tile on a plywood surface that does not see a serious weight load? Can a product like Liquid Nails provide adequate adhesion for a tile that will see no tension and experience little compression?

If not, why not?

Old 01-06-11, 05:31 PM
I guess Johnny and I were beating around the bush too much. The answer is NO, unless you're making a trinket or similar. Tile should be completely supported with no voids under them where nasty critters could hide and multiply. The point isn't whether a bead of glue will hold it in place.

Jaz

Old 01-06-11, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
But the question remains - is a construction adhesive an acceptable method for laying tile on a plywood surface that does not see a serious weight load?
I can tell you that there is no method for setting tile with construction adhesive in the TCNA handbook. Additionally, Ive never seen any manufacturer literature recommending such a method. Either its been tested and has failed, or it has never been tested. Additionally, anytime you install tile on a floor, contertop, etc. you want it to be fully supported, a bead of adhesive will not do.

Thing is there are acceptable methods, so why take a chance on anything else. Typically these shows that start these type of conversations have not a clue, and hope that the people watching do not have a clue either. You can generally use whatever you want to adhere tile to a substrate, so long as you are prepared to do it over when it fails.

Old 01-07-11, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Most of those shows give wrong instructions for everything. I can do everything and have from the ground up on a house. Those home improvement shows make me cringe. Bob Vila was probably the worst ever.

Old 01-07-11, 06:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I watch the shows just to see what they will do next. Green board in a shower, then tile.....cbu on floor without thinset......no eye protection using a metal grinder......not checking free hanging wiring for energy before you stick your hand on it (Holmes is famous for that one, duh)
All this stuff is weekly, and I am afraid many diy'ers are using them as their instruction book. Keeps me in a job, though, so I shouldn't complain.