SimpleMat?

Old 01-12-11, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SimpleMat?

It seems like every time I visit HD or Lowes they have another "new" product in the tile section. Yesterday I went to HD to buy some 1/4' hardibacker and they had a product I've never seen seen before displayed on an end cap.

It's called SimpleMat. It looks like a double backed sticky paper or membrane. It's touted as a simple DIY friendly method of installing backsplash and countertop tiles. Has anyone used this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-11, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
In watching the HD video, it appears to have a sticky back side, semi sticky covering for a trial run, then a permanent sticky surface exposed by pulling the semi sticky layer off for a final surface. I'll have to do a hands on next time I'm at big orange (just left there a half an hour ago).

Old 01-12-11, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I didn't look at the price, but I might buy some just to test it out. Of course according to the product literature it surpasses sliced bread but I need to be convinced.

Old 01-12-11, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wayne

I need to be convinced as well. I could see something like this being ok for a backspash, maybe. A countertop, I think is a different story. I have bonding concerns, since a countertop would be subject to major spills and have no idea how this product would react with water and other liquids. I'd also have concerns for the countertop edges where people might lean and put lots of weight on the tile edges. Countertops often wind up with more weight on them they they should, even wind up with people on them sometimes.

Instructions say to overlap the easymat where the pieces meet. Since there would appear to be no leveling capability (like with thinset), I would think that it would be difficult, if not impossible to get the tile flat over the overlapping ridges. Additionally, the substrate would have to be dead flat to get a flat surface that will look good, as again, no leveling capabilities. It may be ok for a diyer, I dunno. To install this in a homeowners kitchen, not knowing how well the tile will bond and how long it will hold up, I don't think so.

As always, I'm a skeptic when it comes to these new, to good to be true products. Ive seen and heard of horror stories about spray on sealers, "thinset" in a bucket, "grout" in a bucket and other wonder products.

Wayne and Larry, if you test this stuff out, let me know how it turns out and what you think of it.