Tile over concrete

Old 01-14-11, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile over concrete

We are ripping up the carpet and the floor underneath is concrete. The house is built on a slab.

This room is going to be a sewing studio. I am wanting to put tile on top of the concrete. In the area where my sewing machines will be, I will be rolling around on this tile sitting in my chair going from one machine to the other.

Can I tile right over the concrete?

What do I need to do to prepare the concrete that I am going to put the tile over.

The center of the room will be tiled but the surrounding the tile will be carpet.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-11, 04:52 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can tile directly on the concrete slab. The slab cannot have any sealers, paint etc on it that might affect the thinset mortar from bonding to it. Does the slab have any cracks in it? If so describe them? How flat is the slab, it doesn't have to be level, but it has to be flat. Are there any moisture or water issues that you are aware of with the slab?

Old 01-15-11, 06:49 PM
Thank you for getting back with me. There are no cracks in the concrete. The slab is flat. There are no water or moisture issues.

Old 01-18-11, 06:33 PM
How have you checked/tested the slab to know there is no water or moisture issues?

There doesn't have to be any visible moisture for there to be a moisture issue.

Jaz

Old 01-18-11, 07:14 PM
A old school way to test for moisture in concrete is cut a 3'x3' of poly plastic, duck tape to concrete , allow 72 hours to pass , maintain 65 deg. Pull poly up and look for moisture.