Alternatives to Concrete Walkway

Old 01-20-11, 07:01 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Alternatives to Concrete Walkway

Was originally planning on laying concrete and tiling over for walkway around the house and extending patio. Is there a better alternative for a tile look to the walkway without having to lay concrete first? I have a few existing concrete slabs which I will need to incorporate into overall layout. I know tiling outdoors is not recommended; how about pavers on compacted soil and match with same pavers over existing concrete patios to present a seemless look? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-11, 07:34 PM
In what part of the world are you hiding? Since it sounds like an exterior application and the climate and soil type will have an effect.

In a cold northern climate you can install a street or driveway with interlocking concrete paving stones, but it just has to be done properly.

Dick

Old 01-20-11, 07:56 PM
L
Thanks for the reply. I am in a tropical climate in Guam. Temperatures rarely below 70 and lots of moisture. I installed a terracotta walkway in my house in Hawaii which was nice, but I couldn't blend with existing concrete slabs, and I'm looking for more of a tiled/stone look this time. Really, I'm just trying to avoid the expense and work of laying all that concrete just to cover it with tile. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-11, 11:22 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can also install synthetic rubber floor tiles over concrete. Johnsonite is the biggest name in synthetic rubber flooring, and they make synthetic rubber floor tiles for many specialty applications such as factories where there's often water on the floor.

They make a flooring in tile form called "Safety Stride" that's meant for wet areas. But I don't know for sure if synthetic rubber flooring is suitable for installation outdoors cuz it might deteriorate from UV light from the Sun.

Apart from the UV issue, synthetic rubber flooring is almost as bullet proof as concrete or ceramic tile. You cannot cut the stuff with anything duller than a razor, and you can't burn it with anything cooler than a torch. I have synthetic rubber stair treads in both my front and back lobbies, but I got a sample of that same stair tread material from Johnsonite before I ordered the treads. You CAN cut the threads, but you need a razor to do it. If you put a cigarette out on the threads, you just need to wipe off the resulting discolouration with some mineral spirits and it's gone. And, of course, the coefficient of friction between rubber and rubber is very high, so anyone wearing shoes with synthetic rubber soles will have excellent traction.

Johnsonite "Safe-T-Stride" synthetic rubber floor tiles installed around an indoor pool.
These tiles have deep grooves in them that prevents water planing and therefore provide excellent traction in wet areas.

Old 01-21-11, 05:55 PM
F
I happen to have done the same thing you are talking about. I used pavers over my concrete paito and extended past the edge of the slab. about 600 sqtf more area added to my paito. In order to do this you need a layer of 2a stone, 4" deep down from the top of for the concrete slab , extending 2" past where you will end your pavers. 2a stone is to provide a base so your pavers will not settle down past your concrete , A SEAMLESS LOOK. A 1" layer of bedding sand over the stone and continuing on top of the concrete {SAND IS TO PROVIDE A BED TO LAY YOUR PAVERS ON] and then your pavers . Try EP HENRY .com and they will give more info on installing pavers