ceramic tile

Old 01-30-11, 06:50 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ceramic tile

wife wants deramic tile in two rooms but heres my question, Ill start from top layer down. vinyl floor followed by quarter inch under layment over what flooring contractor said was aspestose tile. I dont know if he only said it so he didnt have to remove. any way if i just remove vinyl can i install new tile over the glue or is this a big prodject. thanks K

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-11, 08:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
With ceramic tile, you gotta remove the vinyl and 1/4 underlayment, which shouldn't be too bad. Then, it may be possible to add thinset and concrete backer underlayment (durock, hardiebacker, etc.), screwing it down with proper screws in a proper manufacturer's specified pattern, THEN, you can install your thinset and tile. Now, if he was referring to asbestos tile, you need to know what shape it is in. Encapsulating it with another floor is OK, but you don't want to leave it exposed, nor to you want to remove it enmasse without proper protection. How many square feet are we talking?

Old 01-30-11, 12:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roughly 400sf, i know the tiles are under the layment and are either loose or in pieces.

Old 01-30-11, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If so, then sad to say, it's gotta go unless you find it is a small amount. Crumbing all over won't make a good base for the underlayment, and could shift during installation causing a high spot.