HardiBacker 500

Old 02-17-11, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HardiBacker 500

I had six sheets of 1/2" (.42) HardiBacker board delivered today for a tile floor project. I see that the stickers on the boards say "Hardibacker 500" and "FOR WALLS." What gives? After looking at the Hardibacker website, they make no mention of a floor version and a wall version?

All the site says is that you can use 1/4" on floors, but if you need some height (like I do) you can use 1/2.

Can I use this for my floor? Or is there a special flavor of HardiBacker for floors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-11, 09:59 PM
Hi Tony,

The Hardie 500 can be used anywhere, go right ahead. The reason they make 1/4" is to minimize thickness since tile backers add virtually no strength. It's best to add plywood, then use the 1/4" stuff. Or you could go premium and use Ditra or one of Noble's membranes.

Tell us more, what does the subfloor consist of? How about the framing? What type of tiles etc.

Jaz

Old 02-17-11, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your response! My floor right now is the subfloor: 5/8" ply on 2x12s spaced 12" on center.

Old 02-17-11, 10:15 PM
I should also add that we haven't decided on tile, but I would think we will purchase 12" square ceramic.

Old 02-18-11, 06:47 AM
I should add that the plywood looks to be exterior grade and it's 3/4" thick. Tongue-and-groved too.

So, do I have a good strong sub floor?

1. 2x12s, spaced 12"
2. 3/4" exterior tongue-and-groove ply
3. 1/2" HardieBacker

Proceed? Thanks!

Old 02-18-11, 08:24 AM
That framing is better than required, as long as the joists are not over spanned. You left that info out. Also do you the the species and grade of those 2x12"?

Tongue-and-groved too.
All subfloor grade plywood has to be t&g. No plusses for t&g. If the sub isn't t&g, you'd have to either block all the seams or add another structural sheet of plywood underlayment over it.

All the site says is that you can use 1/4" on floors, but if you need some height (like I do) you can use 1/2.
What do you need the height for? Remember, with the thicker Hardie and basic tiles you will be close to 7/8".

Jaz

Old 02-18-11, 09:22 AM
Thanks JazMan.

As for the span of these joists, they run about 12" feet from the house foundation (one bathroom wall) to a perpendicular steel beam. Opposite that beam, another field of joists supports the rest of our addition.

As for height, I guess I'm not sure there. The only reference I have is the adjoining bedroom (this is a master bathroom) has 1/2" hardwood "Belawood" flooring. At the bathroom door threshold, the flooring drops off to my subfloor.

Old 02-18-11, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Also do you the the species and grade of those 2x12"?
OhI don't know the species, but they look to be exterior grade as they have that "pressure treated" color to them.

Old 02-18-11, 07:53 PM
OhI don't know the species, but they look to be exterior grade as they have that "pressure treated" color to them.
Wonder why they used PT lumber? Hope it's kiln dried. You got termite or other varmits there? Where is there? Wish this forum would make people state where they are when posting, it would sure help answering some of these questions.

Jaz

Old 02-19-11, 12:52 PM
I put a call into the HardiBacker 1-800 line and the tech support guy said my 3/4" ply and 2x12s on 12" center are more than sufficient for my tile project. So, here we go. Thanks to those that offered their help!

Tony

Old 02-19-11, 01:51 PM
I put a call into the HardiBacker 1-800 line and the tech support guy said my 3/4" ply and 2x12s on 12" center are more than sufficient for my tile project.
Didn't someone here already tell you that?

Good luck.

Jaz