Adhesive for Ceramic tile on top of vinyl

Old 02-22-11, 03:55 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adhesive for Ceramic tile on top of vinyl

If i were to leave the original layer of vinyl tile on the floor and wanted to simply place the new ceramic tile over it, what kind of adhesive would be ideal to use? Is there any adhesive that, as an added benefit, would also be able to effectively seal some cracks in the vinyl layer?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-11, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
One of the tile pros should be along, but the likely answer is going to be don't tile over the vinyl. The vinyl has some flex to it and won't be a good base for ceramic.

Old 02-22-11, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Added note, I'm going to move this to the Flooring forum.

Old 02-22-11, 05:31 AM
S
Ok yes i figured that but right now i'm not in charge of the project, just been given the task of finding the appropriate materials for it. From what i've read online the adhesive to be used is a high quality latex modified thin set mortar. I'm not familiar with any trustworthy brands though. Anyone know what a good product would be? Also, what a good degreaser would be for the prep cleaning on the vinyl? Sorry for posting this here mod i was in a rush and this is mostly a bathroom project.

Old 02-22-11, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I think you missed TG's point. You don't put ceramic tile over vinyl. Period. You will need to install either a concrete backer underlayment (cbu) or an underlayment like Schluter's Ditra, both of which will need to be thinsetted to the substrate. THEN you can install your tile.

Old 02-22-11, 03:50 PM
W
SimpleLogic my answer would be yes and no. I'm not a pro tile installer but I have ripped up lots of vinyl to replace it with tile.

However, if you Google around the tile sites you get a mixed bag of answers. The concensus seems to be - it depends. Is the vinyl cushioned (no no) or adhered to a leveling plywood like luan (another no no). If the vinyl is well adhered to a solid substrate and the structural elements meet the deflection requirements tile could be installed successfully.