Remove grout and replace with caulk?

Old 02-25-11, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove grout and replace with caulk?

I just finished a new shower stall and mistakenly grouted the bottom seam and corner seams. If it helps to know, the walls are porcelin tile, the shower pan is cultured marble and I used sanded grout. I realized my mistake after finishing, joints where the plane changes or where different matterials meet should not have been grouted rather caulked. My question is what to do at this point. Thinking there are 4 options. 1) Dig out the grout and caulk. 2) Apply 100% clear silicone caulk over the grout. 3) Seal those grout lines while I seal the rest of the grout. 4) Do nothing, keep an eye on it, wait until it crumbles and then remove and replace with caulking,

I'm leaning toward #2.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-11, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As you are now aware, all those joints should have been caulked, not grouted. Since you have already grouted these joints, my suggestion would be to leave the corner joints where tile meets tile grouted. If the grout starts to crack, you can always remove the grout and caulk if and when it does.

Remove the grout at the pan/tile joint and caulk there. There will be a lot of movement at that joint, and grout will crack and fall out of the joint rather quickly. Caulk is better able to accomodate the movement at that joint.