another shower tile question

Old 12-28-00, 12:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I am installing a new basement shower. It is the one piece fiberglass unit about 4 ft wide and about 6 ft tall. The ceiling will be about 8-10 inches above the top of the shower. I was thinking of tiling the wall space between the shower and ceiling, and potentially the ceiling above the shower itself.

This area should receive little direct water spray, but I suppose could have steam condensing on the ceiling, if a long shower was taken.

Is green board as a backer OK for this application??

All of the other baths in my house have drywall only in these areas on the side and the ceiling, so I would think adding tile would be OK too.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-00, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Green board is no longer an approved substrate for wet areas. Why not just use HardiBacker or cement board for those spots? Dens-Sheild would also be another option for you. The added cost for using these products would not be much more than using green board.

Old 12-28-00, 06:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with ST that greenboard is not an adequate base for tile in a wet area, and I've spent a good portion of my life fighting what I call "sheetrock showers." But as you've said, the areas above the shower don't get wet (and the steam that collects there dissapates before it does damage).

I would put solid blocking (backing) between the studs at the top of the shower. Nail the shower to the blocking. Cut the greenboard so that it does not overlap the shower lip but goes against the blocking as well. Tile directly to the greenboard, resting the first course on the shower. The ceiling can be sheetrock also.

Again, I agree that the backer boards are better, but in this case they are overkill, especially where the ceiling is concerned. The only exception I would make would be in the case of a steam shower/room.

Tile adheres very well to sheetrock with thin set mortar.

John the original "mud man"

http://www.johnbridge.com