tools for cutting tile

Old 12-29-00, 08:55 AM
clariline
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello there,

We will soon be installing 4" tiles on our kitchen countertop and want to angle the tiles to have a diamond pattern - this means many cuts! We would like to know if a standard straight cutter works fine, or if we should get something else. I have also seen that Dremel tools can be used to cut tile, is this successful? I would appreciate any opinions from people who have cut tile before. Thank you!

clariline

Old 12-29-00, 03:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Clariline,

I have cut many tiles (broken a few too). On most tiles you can use a straight cutter. It's a little tough making "L" cuts, though, without a saw. Tell me what type of tiles you're using, and I'll give you a few tips.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 12-30-00, 09:39 AM
clariline
Visiting Guest
reply to john bridge, re: cutting tile

Hello John,

We are using American Olean tiles - the 4" square ones. Have you used those straight cutters? I'll be making cuts across the points on the tile (is that what you call L cuts?) as I want to set them diagonally instead of straight on. Thanks for your reply.

clariline

Old 12-30-00, 12:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi again, Clariline,

Cutting tiles "across the points" is making straight cuts called diagonals. An "L" cut is when you have to wrap a tile around a corner. The cut is not straight. It is a corner cut, usually two segments forming a right angle. You cannot make that cut on a tile cutter, which only cuts in a straight line. So for the tricky cuts, you need a saw.

Yes, I have been cutting tile for nearly 30 years and have used just about every kind of cutter there is. I currently own three different cutters and three different tile and marble saws.

You might be interested in buying my book: Ceramic Tile Setting, John P. Bridge, McGraw-Hill. You can order it here by clicking the tab at the top right corner of this page labeled "How-to Books," or you can order it on my site.

http://www.johnbridge.com/serv02.htm

I get about 1.20 in royalty, so you would really be making my day.

John :-)

Old 01-05-01, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Ceramic Tile cutter

I haven't been cutting tile long, but have tried many cutters. I recently tiled a stairway, 2 bathrooms, and two bedrooms. After the first two hours in the bathroom with lots of cuts, I went and bought a wet saw for $200. I purchased it to make straight cuts. It was a big expense, but I figured in how much money I would save if I tiled myself. Now I wished I spent a little more. Some tile saws allow you to lift the saw so you can make more direct cuts. I tried the dremel - didn't work on my ceramic tile that was glazed. I also tried scoring - that is a great deal of work too. But it can be done. So, I would think of how much time you want to spend cutting and scoring - especially if this is your first time tiling. Cutting is the most difficult part - other than laying everything out correctly.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: