Installing tile over particle board/old tile

Old 12-31-00, 05:59 PM
Visiting Guest

I just started ripping out particle board underlayment (for carpet) - I want to install tile in the area. Particle board is over previous tile installation, set in mortar bed.

The problem is the particle board is glued (and nailed) to tile with a black, tar-like adhesive, and seems impossible to get up. Can I install Durock (or similar) on top of particle board and then tile? If so, what is the thinnest I can use (will be extremely high profile doing this)?

- Or - is there an easier way of getting the particle board removed?

Thanks,,,,

Old 01-02-01, 07:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Laura,
I would not recommend putting a cementious backer board over particle board. I know its alot of work but,if you can strip the particle board off the old tile and remove the (what sounds like) cut-back adhesive off the old tile (they do make a cut-back adhesive stripper available at most homecenters Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) and then tile directly over the old tile with a high quality polymer/latex modified thin-set. I think you will have a much better job as long as the old tile is ceramic and it is solid.(no cracks, loose tiles etc.)Really there is no easy way just good old-fashioned "elbow grease". Your job will also not be near as high profile when you are done and your transitions to surrounding floors will be smoother.
Regards and Good Luck,

Rich Gately (Tileman1)

http://www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: