In-floor radiant heating and preparation for tile

Old 06-10-11, 01:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In-floor radiant heating and preparation for tile

Greetings all...first time posting here, although I have browsed for a while.
I am currently renovating a kitchen...total floor area is about 300 sq. ft. I have already put down cement board underlayment and installed the in-floor heating cables. I am using the cable and gage system as opposed to the cable and mesh mats. I know with the mesh and cable heating, the tile can be applied directly with thinset, but the tutorial from the manufacturer of the cable and gage system says I must put down a glaze of thinset first and let it dry in order to provide a level tiling surface. I understand the reasoning behind this, but have simply never done it before. I have already purchased the mortar and plan on starting tomorrow morning....has anyone here done a thinset glaze over heating cables before? And if so, can you provide any insight, tips, or any other useful tricks you may have learned first-hand? I know tiling, but the heating is new to me. And the tutorial video portrayed the process in an absurdly simple way. Any input would be great, as my apprehension grows each time I imagine screwing up the glaze and making a $5000 mistake. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-11, 07:52 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whose system did you you purchase? There is no reason to require an SLC over the element accept to make it easier to work over. ALL of the electric heating elements out there, whether line (high) voltage (120/240) or low voltage (12-30v) require a mortar, thinset or SLC to be sure they have a heat sink surrounding the element.

Also, clarify what you mean by "cable and gage" compared to "cable and mesh" system. Do you mean roll out mats compared to single cable shaped to the space?