Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Polymer Modified Portland Cement Grout by Merkrete??? is it unsanded or sanded??

Polymer Modified Portland Cement Grout by Merkrete??? is it unsanded or sanded??

Old 06-14-11, 02:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Might be the dumbest question every but i layed Grey polished marble with 1/8 grout line, the store not a big box store sold me Merkrete Polymer Modified Portland Cement Grout. It says on the product label that its ok for marble. My understanding that i need to use unsanded grout for the polished marble. Does this product contain sand or not. and or is it fine for polished marble????

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-11, 04:12 PM
J
help?

Please does anybody know if this grout portland cement grout has any sand in it? i also have alittle mosiac glass tile border accent tile? i contacted the manufacture and they havent got back to me. i would like to grout tomorow morning, please any help would be appreciated

Old 06-14-11, 04:41 PM
What does the Merkrete label say and what is the product number (200-211 system?).

It may have very fine "sand". The MSDS sheets do not give any good information since the cement and sand both contain some silica in small amounts.

I would go by the product sheets for what you have used. They are pretty good as long as you have the Merkrete product number.

Dick

Old 06-14-11, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 217 Votes on 192 Posts
Grout should say "Sanded" or "Unsanded" on the package.

Old 06-14-11, 05:41 PM
J
obviously it doesnt say unsanded or sanded on the bag or i wouldnt be asking this question. bag says: versatile color grout, polymer modified portland cement grout with mold shield antimicrobial protection.

Nothing in the product description says anything about sand or no sand

Old 06-14-11, 05:48 PM
J
i called them ten times today and and no response. frustrating, all over a $20 bag of grout

Old 06-14-11, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 217 Votes on 192 Posts
obviously it doesnt say unsanded or sanded on the bag or i wouldnt be asking this question.
Wow! Just asking. sometimes it is the easy answers that are skipped over.

Have you opened the bag? If it is sanded you will feel the grit in the mix. If it just feels like powder it is unsanded.

Old 06-15-11, 11:10 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I'm not familiar with this grout, so I took a look at their website. It says the grout can be used in joints up to 1/2" wide. This would be unusual for a non sanded grout so I'm guessing that it is a sanded grout but dunno for sure. It doesnt say in their literature. Using sanded grout on polished marble is a real bad idea.

Merkrete does have a techinical services number 800-226-2424.

Merkrete does make a non sanded grout. Why not take back what you have and get the non sanded so you know for sure.

Old 06-21-11, 09:05 PM
J
Merkrete's website shows 4 types of grouts. one is labeled Epoxy, another clearly says sanded, the other is called un-sanded, and the fourth is called Versatile Color Grout. When I click on the last and read the description and directions I find this is the grout in question.

Product Description
BASIC USE: Merkrete Versatile Color Grout is a superior multi purpose polymer-modified portland
cement grout specifically formulated for grouting all types of ceramic and dimensional stone tiles on walls
and floors. Versatile is ideal for grouting joint widths less then 1/16" and up to 1/2" wide, and eliminating
the need for different grout products

Reading further it mentions marble, but I am not confident enough to use it on polished marble. I'd like someone's assurance or use their un-sanded.

It sounds like a very good grout that inhibits mold growth and other nasties though. I'm pretty sure it's unsanded cuz it'll work well for fine gaps under 1/16" wide. It's also good for up to 1/2" too.

Jaz

Old 06-22-11, 09:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Less than 1/16" up to 1/2" wide? Sounds like something new which is neither sanded nor unsanded grout as I know them