scoring and snapping / cutting porcelain floor tile debate

Old 06-29-11, 10:59 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
scoring and snapping / cutting porcelain floor tile debate

Hello

I have searched through a lot of info on score and snap porcelain floor tile. I have done lots of the simple, smooth, polished porcelain without a problem. Today I had the challenge of trying my hand at some thick textured stuff. On the 45 degree cut, I would have bent my snapping bar on quite a decent cutter. So, I am successfully laying them on a straight edge board on the floor and whacking them with the heal of my boot(hand held) Put a towel or something to catch the pieces. Its not pretty but its pretty funny and a hell of a lot quicker then a saw.
Put the cut directly over a clean edge of the board. Good luck, and feedback if you care to

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-11, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Oooh, tile saws are too cheap to be messing with scoring and snapping. I shudder to think I had to do that on a job. But good advice. Hope someone is able to use it.

Old 07-02-11, 05:03 PM
C
Can you imagine whacking tile with a shoe while your customer watched over you!!
Anyway Chandler, thanks for the recognition. I had a small hall in my home and too many tools as is. I got the ceramic at a Habitat for Humanity home store on the cheap without thinking how hard it might be. I had one misfire, but the off score break was minor and fit under a threshold. Oh, and I used a 4x4 so there was clearance so as not to smash the piece.

Old 07-03-11, 05:46 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"I had a small hall in my home and too many tools as is."

Nah, can't happen.

Old 07-03-11, 02:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Too many tools?

What's that?

Old 07-03-11, 08:23 PM
Choke!! What's this I hear about too many tools. Not in 3 lifetimes!

Old 07-04-11, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've heard my wife say something about too many tools but I haven't the slightest idea what she was talking about

Old 07-04-11, 07:24 AM
I think it originated with the "marble" games we played as kids. You young whipper snappers can be excused. The one with the most marbles won. Same thing with tools. You can't take them with you, but the more you have, the better your chances of "winning". Winning what, who knows. Just rambling.

Old 07-04-11, 07:52 AM
C
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
the more you have, the better your chances of "winning". Winning what, who knows.
what your aiming to "win" is a quality job, well done. and having a good tool for the task just makes things sooooo much easier and higher quality.

bought one of these
Variable Speed Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool
it is a fantastic tool when needed.

Old 07-05-11, 04:56 AM
I have a Fein, and it stays behind the seat in my truck. No tool box for this puppy!! Totally invaluable tool when you call on it. And you're right.. my dad would go buy a tool rather than "make do" with what he had in order to complete a job with perfection. I still have all his power tools, and carry forward the addiction.

Old 07-05-11, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I bought the same one as condo-owner only I got it when it was on sale

I've only used it on 1 project but it worked better than I expected. Not sure when I'll use it again but it doesn't take up much room and I'll have it when I need it. IMO if you have too many tools for too small of a shop - you build a bigger shop although you might need to buy more tools to build the bigger building and then you might have to change the plans to enlarge the shop which might mean even more tools and then.........

Old 07-05-11, 06:23 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I think it originated with the "marble" games we played as kids. You young whipper snappers can be excused. The one with the most marbles won. Same thing with tools. You can't take them with you, but the more you have, the better your chances of "winning". Winning what, who knows. Just rambling.
I had a great uncle that was buried with his saw. He was a master carpenter and he played the saw as a musical instrument. That's an art that disappeared with the appearance of the circular saw. When he died his wife put his favorite hammer and his crosscut saw (remember the days of crosscut and rip saws) in his casket. They were there on display during his wake.

Old 07-14-11, 08:53 PM
C
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I had a great uncle that was buried with his saw. He was a master carpenter and he played the saw as a musical instrument. That's an art that disappeared with the appearance of the circular saw. When he died his wife put his favorite hammer and his crosscut saw (remember the days of crosscut and rip saws) in his casket. They were there on display during his wake.
I am going to need a shipping container. And there won't be any room for me.