Floor prep for tile

Old 06-28-11, 08:11 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor prep for tile

Remodel for my son, older home has newer linoleum on the floor. I assume we need to remove this to prep the floor for tile.

Is there a sticky or post you can direct me too? Also if we have to remove the linoleum, how much of the residual old glues do we need to get off?

Thanks

Old 06-28-11, 11:28 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you talking about ceramic tile or vinyl tile as the replacement. If it is ceramic you need to find out what is currently under the linoleum first. Is it linoleum or some other kind of cushion, or no wax floor? There is probably a thin backing board under it that will need to be removed anyway that the current floor is glued down to, especially if it is a vinyl no wax product. If you are installing ceramic tile the floor will require a solid base that will prevent tile flex movement. There are different ways to provide this depending on what your subfloor is made from also. ie. Planks, or 3/4 plywood. There are many on this site than will also provide you with step by step instructions once some of these questions are answered.

Old 06-28-11, 11:33 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the subfloor is concrete slab.

Old 06-28-11, 12:08 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Depending on the glue, I would try and get off as much as possible, and if it is a mastic it should more or less come off with water. There are some thinset products that state that you can apply them over floor adhesive, so check the bag, but I think that Flexbond is one of them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: