D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this cement clean enough......

for tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-11, 09:38 PM
J
It probably is, but why not remove some more where it's thicker? There should only be film remaining. A wallpaper scraper will work well. Which thin set are you going to use and type of tiles?

Jaz

Old 07-09-11, 09:50 PM
D
The picture is a little misleading, the floor is smooth. The black is old glue stain if that is what you are referring to about cleaning more. I had just wet mopped the floor to make it show better. The grey to the right is dry area.

12x24 Porcelean tile and porcelean mortar bought from Floor and Decor. Dont have the exact mortar name here, it is what they suggested.

Last edited by digitalshooter; 07-09-11 at 09:51 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-12-11, 08:46 PM
J
Yes I can see it's the old black cutback or emulsion, that's what you're supposed to remove until there's only a film.

mortar bought from Floor and Decor. Dont have the exact mortar name here, it is what they suggested.
Well then, I guess you're satisfied you've got the right stuff. I looked at what they sell and counted 18 different items that are called tile mortar. Of them I would say as many as 7 may be appropriate in your case. I say may be because I'd have to read the specs for all.

Jaz

Old 07-12-11, 08:53 PM
D
Here is what we bought:

North American Adhesives Brand

Porcelain Tile Mortar
NA 3220 Multi Flex

Old 07-12-11, 09:32 PM
J
I just noticed you posted the same question at JB's forum. Looks like you wanna grind the floor.

There you said the mortar was #3229, now it's #3220. The website does not show #'s, just names. Which is it?

Jaz

Old 07-12-11, 09:40 PM
D
its 3220, and the consensus there is to grind, I dont want to if I dont need to.

Thanks

Old 07-14-11, 07:33 PM
J
Well.... you don't have to, but it's always better if you can start with a clean floor. The thin set you have will work on a film of cutback adhesive, I'm sure you already know that. Just cut away as much as possible with the wallpaper scraper. It'll work. However, if the floor isn't perfectly flat, you may as well grind it and take care of both problems.

Jaz

Old 07-14-11, 07:41 PM
D
What would be your definition of "film of cutback adhesive"? Also, how should I clean the grinder if it builds up with adhesive?

Old 07-14-11, 07:59 PM
J
First of all is the floor flat? You don't need a grinder if the floor is flat and you decide to leave the cutback film. I define a "film" as a layer of adhesive that is transparent to the extent that you can see the concrete. That is what the manufacturers recommend.

I've done it where the black adhesive was fairly thick and the customer had attempted to remove the stuff with a solvent. Not a good thing. Warned them, but....

If you go the grinder route, I don't know cuz it depends on the particular tool you use.

Jaz

Old 07-14-11, 08:14 PM
D
JazMan,

First thanks for sticking (no pun) with me on this. I think I will look closely again tomorrow, and make a decision.

ANy thoughts about the so called natural citus based remover?

Thanks

Old 07-14-11, 08:54 PM
J
Smells nice!

Actually I've heard good reviews. Call the tech department to verify that the product will not soak into the concrete creating a bond breaker and can be easily rinsed out without hosing the area. That is the #1 problem with adhesive removers. Well.... that plus some are flammable and can explode if care is not taken, while others will just kill you.

Jaz