Replacing Hardwood with Tile in the Bathroom

Old 07-18-11, 08:31 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Hardwood with Tile in the Bathroom

Hey Guys,

I have solid maple flooring in the bathroom that after much debate the wife and I have decided to replace with tile.

That said, I need a little help planning out the project and hence I am here for your wisdom.

The current floor is 2x8 joists (16OC) with what appears to be 1x6 plank subfloor. The maple it nailed directly into the 1x6 plank.

My thoughs are to remove the maple, install a 1/4" cement backer board and then lay the tile. Will this be adequate subfloor for the tile install? I'm hoping not to have to remove tha plank and install new engineered sub floor, but will if necessary.

Pending the plank can stay put, how do I fasten the cement board to the subfloor? We are looking at either 12" porcelin or ceramic tile, nothing fancy here. What type of thinset is best and what type of grout for this application?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-11, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Bryan, no the plank subfloor won't be enough. I know you are removing the hardwood, so you gain 3/4". If you add 1/2" plywood, then your 1/4" cbu, you should be ok. You now have to deal with the transition, but it's done every day. Plan on either a marble type transition in the doorway, or a matching transition if there is wood in the hallway/bedroom. Use modified thinset, dry, mix your own. Grout, same thing, mix your own.

Old 07-19-11, 06:32 AM
B
Chandler,

Thanks for the advice.

So if I understand correctly, I will do the following.

1. Remove current base molding.
2. Remove Hardwood.
3. Glue and screw in new 1/2 ply subfloor to the plank (what type of sub should I look for, what type of adhesive, and screws?)
4. Glue and screw cbu to new ply subfloor (what type of adhesive and screws?)
5. Lay tile with modified thin set (1/2" notched trowel?)
6. Grout (sanded, non-sanded?).
7. Install transition (type TBD)
8. Install new base moldings and paint.

Does this seem correct? Am I missing anything?
Will I need to modify the mounting flange for the toilet?

Thanks Again,

Bryan

Old 07-19-11, 11:08 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
1. Good
2. Good
3. No glue, just screws. Rescrew the planks as necessary making sure they are well fastned, no loose squeaky boards. Use bc or better exterior glue plywood, ½” is good. Deck screws are good for this.
4. You can use ¼” cbu. Each manufacturer has different requirements as to the thinset that is to be used under the cbu. Some say modified, others say unmodified and some say either or. Read the manufacturers instructions and use what they recommend. Use the square drive cement board screws that you find in the big box stores in the cement board aisle.
5. I’d try a ¼”x3/8”x1/4” square notched trowel first. Set a few tile and remove one, seeing if you get full coverage on the back of the tile. If not then you can move up to the ½” trowel. If porcelain, burn the backs of each tile (thin app of thinset “burned” into the tile).
6. Depends on what size grout joint. If 1/8” or larger, use sanded. If 1/8” or less, use non sanded.
7. If installing a marble threshold, I like to install the threshold before the tile, and then set the tile up to it.
8. Good.

Old 07-19-11, 11:16 AM
B
You guys are great!
The wife will be happy.

What do you mean by burning the thinset? I get app of a small amount to the backside (buttering), but burning? Does this require butane???

Old 07-19-11, 11:37 AM
H
no butane. Just a thin layer of thinset applied with the flat side of the trowel.

Old 07-19-11, 11:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Where I am we call that back-buttering the tile.

Funny how much terms change with geography.

Old 07-20-11, 07:45 PM
B
Hey Guys,

Thanks again for the input. I plan on starting the job tomorrow, and hope to get out the old floor and install the new subfloor. I'll wait to do the tiling over the weekend.

Lets hope I don't run into many problems along the way. If I do, I know where to go for help!

Thanks!

BK

Old 07-21-11, 06:17 PM
B
Silly question here, but figured it is best to ask before I set the tile....

Do I set the tile up to the wall, and then install molding over the tile, or install molding first and then set up to the molding???

I assume its tile first, molding on top. When I pulled out the hardwood today the molding was clearly put in first... That is, the hardwood was laid up against the molding...

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 07-21-11, 06:57 PM
H
Set the tile first. Leave a1/4" gap all around the perimeter of the room for expansion. The base moulding will cover the gap.