Plywood and self stick tiles over carpet?

Old 07-26-11, 03:03 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Plywood and self stick tiles over carpet?

I'm moving into a new rented place on the weekend and there is no kitchen in the basement like there is in the current place I'm living. My mum and I are sharing a full house, she has the main floor, I have the basement. I have a fridge and a few other kitchen like appliances that I need to be able to use in the basement.

The entire floor is carpeted there. So I had an idea of getting some thick plywood and self sticking tiles and making a "kitchen" area in part of the living room. It needs to be able to hold the fridge since I'm not putting it on carpet, it's old and I'd prefer not to kill the motor or burn the house down. I also need to not do any damage to the carpet obviously. Think this will work? If not any ideas on what might? I'm pretty useless at building anything but pretty sure I can stick tiles on a sheet(s) of plywood.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-11, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Depending on the pile and thickness of the carpet, you may be able to get by with it. However, placing a refrigerator on one end of a piece of plywood will tend to raise the other end and cause a trip factor. You can't fasten it to the floor because it is a rental. I would cut a piece of plywood 30 x 30 or so, just large enough to go under the fridge. That will keep it off the carpet. It will keep it independent of any other plywood you want to put down. Just be careful, as it could become a liability should someone trip on the edge, drop a glass and drive it into their head as they fall.

Old 07-26-11, 05:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
A piece of plywood under the fridge makes sense but I wouldn't put any down in an area where you're going to be walking.