thinset vs wet bed mortar

Old 07-26-11, 05:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thinset vs wet bed mortar

Hi,

I am renovating a bathroom in a house built in the 50's

Behind the tile is a very thick, 3/8's - 1/2" wet bed of sand and cement (it looks similar to concrete as it has little pebbles within it)

The old tile only went about 3/4ths of the way up the wall in the shower.

Because of this, when i took out the old tile, the wet bed is protruding past the rest of the wall (the 3/8ths to 1/2" i mentioned earlier).

However, i wish to install new tile all the way up the wall, not just 3/4ths of the way.

At the tile shop, the manager told me to rough up the surface of the cement board wall, put a primer on it, then put on thinset so it will become flush with the wet bed.

Questions:

1. Should i use thinset to bring the upper wall flush with the wetbed? Or should I use a sand and cement wet bed mortar mix?

2. When i am smoothing out the existing wetbed, should i use thinset or a sand and cement wet bed mortar mix?

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-11, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Scott, welcome to the forums! My experience with 1950's tiled bathrooms resulted in a complete tearout of the walls. It ain't pretty, but the resultant smooth easy tile job will be worth it in the long run. You will need a 5 lb. short handle sledge, eye protection and strong arms.
Unless some of the others have had better experiences, I doubt you would be able to achieve a smooth transition from your old base to a new CBU. Hang in there and let some of the other guys give opinions.

Old 07-26-11, 07:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that none of the walls has studs.

one wall is solid cinderblock covered with the wet bed

the other wall is just some type of cement board then covered with the wet bed. basically from inside to outside (wet bed, cement board, open space to the staircase to the basement)

i know, makes no sense

Here are pictures for further reference

Old 07-27-11, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
"Forgot to mentions" help clarify it. So you won't be taking it down. I am not sure if parging the remainder of the wall above this point would be an option or of cbu would work. Your problem would be getting the cbu to adhere properly to the wall. Although this is a DIY forum, it may be best to have someone look at it that is experienced in parging concrete block walls. That would give you the smooth surface you need for tiling. Keep us posted.