what to do about this ?

Old 08-07-11, 12:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what to do about this ?

we desided that the current tile may be offending potential buyers.
so a change is at hand.

the T molding was installed over the tile. i am hoping to get the tile out without messing up the T. now, installing the new tile. should i put it up under the T like the current tile ? or, somehow fill in under the T. and run the new tile up to the T = a grout line along the T ?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thanx for looking

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 12:21 PM
C
ok. i just put a straight edge on the 2 piece T. one piece is straight. the other angles in about 1/16" over about 3 1/2" .
what size grout line would accommodate this ? i like grout lines pretty much as thin as possible.

Old 08-07-11, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'd go under the T and get my straight line from the back edge of the tile. You'll never notice the distance the tile is under the T. That way the rest of the installation should go smoothly.

Old 08-07-11, 02:00 PM
C
yeah, i was thinkin that. but i am wondering if i will be able to get the tile supported up snugly under the T. the T has to have support, or it will crack.

Old 08-07-11, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With enough thinset, probably. A little extra on the edge under the T, and squish it down.

Old 08-07-11, 06:34 PM
C
i have most of the tile up, just have to move the washer/drier and utility sub. and get that tile up. the HF demo hammer works good.

but, now the next issue. a lot of the thin set did not come off. and getting it off makes for a real mess and a lot of time*. seeing as the height difference if i went right over it wouldn't be a problem, can i do this ? but, the height difference may come into play as i set a few pieces of new tiles under the T. they fit snug. i am thinking i could cut up the T, tile, and glue the T back down.

*or, if i can get a bit made to scrap up thin set ?

Old 08-09-11, 03:51 AM
E
When I tore up some tile the last time on concrete I just used a wide chisel that came with the Hilti tool I rented from HD and the thinset cleaned off like a 'shovel in snow'. When I was done it was impossible to see that there had ever been thinset on it and it probably took me less than 30 minutes. For a level and smooth tile floor you really need to start with that also.

Old 08-09-11, 06:09 PM
C
yeah. the thing is, my tool doesn't have a wide chisel. otherwise i would just do that and not even have asked.