Interior Stone Floor Grout Problems

Old 08-08-11, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Stone Floor Grout Problems

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am having a problem with the grout on my stone floor. I rent a house that has stone/tile floors with medium gray grout. I have four dogs that noticed the grout is loose and broken up in certain areas, and have developed a taste for consuming it. They now spend as much time as they can licking the grout and eating the pieces that are loose.

I don't think the grout was ever sealed when the floors were installed (before I moved in), because I noticed that areas of the grout were cracked and appeared loose. I didn't think my dogs would ever develop a taste for the stuff, so I didn't worry. However, now that huge lines of grout are missing from my floor, I want to replace the grout in those areas and protect the grout that is still intact. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a product that is safe for use around my dogs, but still effective. Also, a fairly inexpensive product is preferable as I'm a student and I don't own the house. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-11, 02:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Cracked grout is often a sign of an installation problem, I would talk to the landlord.

Old 08-08-11, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with Mitch, it really sounds as if the tile was laid directly on plywood or other subflooring, without proper concrete backer underlayment. The wood will suck out the moisture in the grout almost continually causing it to crack out. Another scenario would be improper joist spacing and inferior subflooring causing movement.

Old 08-08-11, 03:10 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm almost certain that the tile floor was laid improperly. The landlord is big on spending the least amount of money possible in the beginning to accomplish something, and then when the tenant moves in and things go wrong, ends up having to spend a lot more money than doing the project correctly the first time. Unfortunately, I'm concerned that he is going to claim that my dogs are the problem and not the flooring. I don't really want to lose my deposit over this, so I was trying to figure out what options I had other than calling my landlord. Unfortunately, I will have to call him and see what becomes of that. Also, would using a grout sealer product alleviate any of the problems I'm having with my floor?

I noticed that when I take a broom handle and tap on the tiles in certain areas, it almost sounds hollow underneath some of them. I'm only making the assumption that its hollow based on the change in pitch. Any ideas?

Old 08-08-11, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Change in pitch and hollow sound indicates not a good bed of thinset was used and the adhesion was not complete. If there is an air register somewhere on this floor, can you pull it and let us know the layers from the tile to the subflooring? It is interesting, and before we can staunchly say it was improperly laid, we need information. You can take a picture of it and post it if you like. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-08-11, 07:35 PM
J
I noticed that when I take a broom handle and tap on the tiles in certain areas, it almost sounds hollow underneath some of them.
And that's why the grout cracked.

Jaz